Certificate of Appreciation

Last updated:

If you're a veteran or a veteran's family member, you may be able to apply for a Certificate of Appreciation. These are issued as a national gesture of thanks for military service.

Back to top

Why issue certificates?

The certificates are a way of expressing the nation’s gratitude to those who served:

  • overseas in Australia’s Defence Force during the Second World War and in overseas wars, conflicts and peace operations since
  • on the home front in the Second World War

They do not confer any eligibility for entitlements under the:

Certificates are issued as part of the Australian Government’s Saluting Their Service Commemorative Grants program.

Back to top

Who can apply 

You can apply for a certificate if you are a:

  • veteran who served in the wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations for which certificates are available
  • family member on behalf of a deceased eligible person

What service qualifies?

Certificates are issued for service with Australia's Defence Forces:

  • in overseas wars, conflicts or peace operations during the specified dates in the application form
  • on the home front during the Second World War

Information about who is eligible for a certificate is in the guidelines:

Back to top

Steps to apply

To apply for a Certificate of Appreciation:

  1. download and complete the application form
  2. send your completed application form to your local federal member
Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?