Proof of Identity

Last updated:

Back to top


This page explains what documents you need to provide to DVA to prove your identity when submitting a claim for pension, benefit or allowance.

Back to top

Why do I need to prove my identity?

A suitable level of identification is required to protect both you and DVA from the risk of identity fraud.

Back to top

How do I prove my identity?

When you lodge your claim for pension, benefit or allowance with DVA, you must prove your identity. You can establish your identity by providing original documents or certified copies from DVA’s approved list.

If the documents include details of your current residential address, you need to produce an original or a certified copy of:

  • 1 x Category A document, plus
  • 2 x Category B documents.

If the documents from Category A and B do not provide evidence of your current residential address, then you must also provide a document from Category C. You will need to produce:

  • 1 x Category A document, plus
  • 2 x Category B documents, plus
  • 1 x Category C document.

If you have legally changed your name, you must provide an additional document which shows how the name was changed (for example, a marriage certificate).

Claims through MyService

All claims that are processed through MyService are taken to have automatically met Proof of Identity (POI) requirements, as all details can be pre-validated through the Attorney-General's Department. When you submit your claim through MyService, no further POI checks are required beyond that which is already provided through MyService (e.g. PMKeyS number, driver's licence number, Medicare details).

Back to top

Approved documents for proving your identity

There are three categories of documents you can use to prove your identity.

Category A

One document from this category is required to show proof of birth in Australia or proof of arrival in Australia if you were born overseas. Acceptable documents are:

  • Australian passport (current) – can only be used as a category A OR a category B document. It cannot be used in both categories concurrently
  • Full Australian birth certificate
  • Record of immigration status
  • Foreign passport and current Australian visa
  • Travel document and current Australian visa
  • Certificate of evidence of residence status; and
  • Citizenship certificate.

Category B

You will need to provide two documents from this category to provide evidence of your identity existing in the community. Acceptable documents are:

  • Australian driver’s licence (current and original)
  • Australian passport (current)
  • Australian Defence Force (ADF) identification card
  • Firearms licence (current and original)
  • Current overseas passport with valid entry stamp or visa
  • Australian Medicare card
  • Change of name certification (for marriage or legal name change – showing link with previous name/s)
  • Credit or bank account card
  • DVA Health card
  • Security guard/crowd control licence
  • Australian marriage certificate issued by a registry of births, deaths and marriages
  • Ceremonial marriage certificate issued by a marriage celebrant on the day of marriage; and
  • Tertiary identification card.

Category C

You will only need to provide documents from this category if none of the documents you produce to satisfy Category A and B provides evidence of your current residential address.

Documents from Category C provide evidence of residential address or residence in a nursing home or residential care facility. Acceptable documents are:

  • Utilities notice
  • Rent details; and
  • Document from nursing home or residential care facility that provides evidence of residence.
Back to top

I am a current serving member /reservist /trainee of the Australian Defence Force.  Do I have to prove my identity to DVA?

Current serving members, reservists and trainees who hold a valid purple or orange Australian Defence Force (ADF) Identification (ID) card can access a streamlined POI process.

Upon production of a valid purple or orange ADF ID card, DVA will verify its authenticity against Defence / DVA records.  Once verified, DVA does not require any further Proof of Identity documents.  Under this arrangement, current serving members and reservists can prove their identity to DVA by presenting a current ADF ID card in person with their claim at any Veteran Support Office (VSO), Veterans’ Access Network (VAN) or Veterans’ Information Service (VIS) location.

Please note that a DVA staff member or delegate retains the right to require a full POI check as described above where they are not reasonably satisfied that a person’s identity is proved by reference to the submitted ID card (for example, where the picture on the supplied ID card does not match the person presenting to DVA, or where details on the ID card are, at a later stage, unable to be verified).

Back to top

What if I have previously given proof of my identity?

If you have previously satisfied the POI requirements with DVA, it may not be necessary to provide all the same information when authenticating your identity subsequently. However, there are some exceptions to this.

If you reclaim an income support pension or allowance within twelve months of your DVA pension being cancelled and/or

If you claim a service pension or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card and already receive another DVA payment

You will only need to provide one document from Category B which includes details of your current residential address. If that document does not provide these details, then you must also produce a document from Category C.

If you are a veteran transferring from Services Australia to DVA and you have already provided DVA with proof of your identity, in most cases, you will not be required to provide additional POI documents. Partners of these veterans will need to provide one document from Category B.

Back to top

What if I don’t have the right documents?

If you are having difficulty obtaining or providing these documents, call us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) for further assistance.

Back to top

Should I provide copies of original documents?

You can take original documents to a DVA office, where a DVA officer can make copies and verify your documents. If this is not possible, you can send certified copies of the documents to DVA (see below for list of people who can certify documents).

It is preferable that only certified copies of documents are sent to DVA. This action would limit the risk of original documents being damaged or lost in the post. If you send original documents to DVA, they will be returned to you by registered post.

Back to top

How can I provide my documents?

Original documents can be provided in person at a DVA office. Alternatively, certified copies can be uploaded into MyService or can be provided by fax, post or in person at a DVA office.

Back to top

Who can certify documents?

Persons who can certify copies of documents include:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Commissioner for Declarations
  • permanent employee (with 5 or more years of continuous service) of:
    • The Commonwealth or of a Commonwealth authority
    • A State or Territory or of a State or Territory authority; or
    • A local government authority.
  • Member of the Australian Defence Force who is:
    • an officer
    • a non-commissioned officer within the meaning of the Defence Force Discipline Act 1982 with 5 or more years of continuous service; or
    • a warrant officer within the meaning of that Act.
  • permanent employee of the Australian Postal Corporation with 5 or more years of continuous service who is employed in an office supplying postal services to the public
  • agent of the Australian Postal Corporation who is in charge of an office supplying postal services to the public
  • bank officer with 5 or more continuous years of service
  • building society officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  • credit union officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  • finance company officer with 5 or more years of continuous service
  • Member of the Association of Taxation and Management Accountant
  • Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants or the National Institute of Accountants
  • Minister of religion registered under Division 1 Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961
  • police officer
  • chiropractor
  • dentist
  • legal practitioner
  • medical practitioner
  • nurse
  • pharmacist
  • physiotherapist
  • veterinary surgeon; or
  • teacher employed on a full time basis at a school or tertiary education institution.

The full list of who can certify documents can be found on the Commonwealth legislation website.

The person certifying copies must:

  • See the original document and use the wording “Certified true copy” or “This is a certified copy of the original as sighted by me” for single page documents.
  • If the document contains multiple pages, the wording “I certify this and following [insert number of pages] pages to be a true copy of the original sighted by me” must be used. All subsequent pages of the copy must be initialled by the person certifying the document.
  • Record the following information on the copy of the document:
  • Signature
  • Date
  • Name in full
  • Profession/qualification. If the certifying officer is a Justice of the Peace or a Commissioner for Declarations, they should provide their relevant registration number including State/Territory of registration
  • Telephone number
  • Address; and
  • If appropriate, an official stamp of the certifying person’s organisation should also be affixed.

For multiple page documents, this information need only be included on the front page of the copied document. Certifying officers must ensure that all subsequent pages of the copy are initialled. Please record the required information on the front of the copied document, not the back/blank side.

Back to top

Contact us

For more information call us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372).

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?