We support health checks for veterans to help them stay well after they move into civilian life. We offer general practitioners (GPs) custom assessment tools to help assess a veteran's physical and mental health.
We offer the:
- One-off Veteran Health Check for a veteran to have once, any time after they leave the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
- Annual Veteran Health Check for a veteran to have each year for up to 5 years after they leave the ADF. This is available to veterans who left the ADF on or after 1 July 2019.
Watch our Youtube video to learn more about the 2 types of health checks.
We recommend 45 minutes to conduct a check. Depending on the veteran's health, you may need more or less time.
As a qualified GP, a qualified health professional such as a practice nurse, may assist you.
Veterans may be eligible for 1 or both types of health checks.
One-off Veteran Health Check
To receive a One-off Veteran Health Check, a veteran must:
- be a former ADF member
- have served at least 1 day
A veteran does not need to be a DVA client to access the One-off Veteran Health Check.
Annual Veteran Health Check
To receive an Annual Veteran Health Check, a veteran must:
- be a former ADF member who moved to civilian life from 1 July 2019
- have served at least 1 day
- have a DVA Veteran Card
Veteran Health Check Assessment Tool
We have designed a custom tool to help you check for health conditions that are common to veterans. It includes screening processes for:
- alcohol and substance use
- post-traumatic stress disorder
- psychological distress
There are 2 ways to access the Veteran Health Check Assessment Tool:
Guide to the Veteran Health Check Assessment Tool
The guide offers:
- treatment pathways
- referral advice
- reference documents
- links to our forms
We have short and in-depth versions of the guide.
Mental Health Advice Book
We have developed this advice book to assist health practitioners to deliver effective mental health treatments for veterans.
Before you start a claim
You cannot charge a gap payment for any services you provide under a DVA item number. This includes the Annual Veteran Health Check.
We encourage you to bulk bill non-DVA clients who have a One-off Veteran Health Check. If you do not bulk bill them, they can get a Medicare rebate.
The One-off Veteran Health Check uses Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) item numbers:
- 701 brief health assessment, lasting no more than 30 minutes
- 703 standard health assessment, lasting no more than 45 minutes
- 705 long health assessment , lasting no more than 60 minutes
- 707 prolonged health assessment, lasting more than 60 minutes
The Annual Veteran Health Check uses DVA item numbers:
- MT701 brief health assessment, lasting no more than 30 minutes
- MT703 standard health assessment, lasting no more than 45 minutes
- MT705 long health assessment, lasting no more than 60 minutes
- MT707 prolonged health assessment, lasting more than 60 minutes
Start a claim
The Department of Human Services will process your claim for us.
You can start the claims process through our DVA Webclaim system.
You can access online resources through Open Arms including:
- training programs
The Centenary of ANZAC Centre also offers online resources including:
- e-learning courses