What to expect after you have submitted a compensation claim

Last updated:

After you submit a compensation claim for a service-related injury or condition, here are the steps we take to process your claim.

For more information on how to claim and the different types of claims, visit Making a service-related claim.

Back to top

The claims investigation process

Your claim will follow this process if you have applied to:

  • have an injury or condition accepted as service related 
  • receive compensation payments for a condition we’ve accepted.

The same process also applies if you are a dependant claiming compensation for the death of a veteran.

Back to top

Step 1: You submit your claim

You can submit your claim through MyService or you can submit a paper claim form.

Visit Making a claim for a service-related condition for more information.

Back to top

Step 2: We register your claim

Once you lodge your claim, we will register it in our processing system.

If you have lodged a claim for initial liability, we will send you a letter within 5 days acknowledging your claim.
While you are waiting to hear from us, it’s a good idea to check that you have included all of the necessary documents. This can help prevent delays when we process your claim.

Back to top

Step 3: We keep you updated

We have a high number of claims to process at the moment. We process these in the order we receive them and according to urgent need. It may take some time for your claim to progress to a delegate.

During this time, our support team may contact you to:

  • let you know of your progress in the queue
  • check in with you about your circumstances
  • get additional information.

If your circumstances change while you are waiting, you can contact us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372). You can also update your details in MyService.

Visit Claim processing times for the latest wait times. 

Back to top

Step 4: We assign your claim to a delegate

When your claim is assigned to a delegate, they will contact you.

Sometimes we have all the information we need to determine your claim without needing to ask you for anything else. 

Some claims are more complicated and it may take us more time to investigate. Your delegate may:

  • request information from Defence, ComSuper or Centrelink
  • ask you to provide more information
  • ask you to attend medical appointments.

We will tell you if there is anything else we need from you and keep you updated on your claim’s progress.

Back to top

Step 5: We make a decision on your claim

You will get a letter from us letting you know the outcome of your claim. 

This letter will also advise you of your right to appeal the decision and how to go about this if you are not happy with the outcome.

If you have submitted a claim for initial liability and your claim is successful, this letter will include information on accessing benefits or compensation such as incapacity payments or permanent impairment through a Needs Assessment.

Back to top

How we will communicate

The Department of Veterans' Affairs' is committed to maintaining regular and consistent contact during the compensation claims process. The Compensation Claims Communication Standards Policy outlines the frequency and mode of contact you can expect from the Department following the submission of a claim for compensation. The policy provides a standardised framework that ensures that you remain informed and to help mitigate any potential confusion or uncertainty that may be felt during the claims process.

For Initial Liability claims, you can expect to be contacted every 30 days while your claim is waiting to be allocated for processing. This contact provides the Department an opportunity to check if your circumstances have changed, link you in with available supports and services and request any additional information that may be required to support your claim.

Once your claim has been allocated for processing, you can expect a phone call within 14 days. This contact will inform you of the next steps in the claims investigation process, and address any queries you may have.  You will then be contacted every 30 days to provide you with a progress update on your claim. If you don't wish to be contacted every 30 days, you may negotiate a more suitable timeframe for contact.

Finally, you will receive a pre-determination phone call to advise you of the likely outcome of your claim, the reasons for decision and information regarding next steps or further options available to you if required.

Contact with you throughout the compensation claims process may be conducted through SMS, email, letter or telephone call. If you have a preferred method of contact please be sure to inform us.

We also remind you, that if you have nominated a representative to act on your behalf during the claims process and you have not received communication from the Department, that you should also check with your representative.

The Policy provides further details regarding the communication touchpoints during the compensation claims process. We encourage you to familiarise yourself with the policy and to notify us if this is not your experience through Feedback | Department of Veterans' Affairs (dva.gov.au), so that we can investigate the matter on your behalf. 

Back to top

How we can help you while you wait

You may be able to get treatment or financial help while we process your claim.

Provisional Access to Medical Treatment 

If you’re claiming any of the top 20 most commonly accepted conditions, we can pay for your treatment for that condition while your claim is in progress. 

Find out more at Get treatment while you wait on a claim (PAMT)

Non-Liability Health Care 

You may be able to get fully funded mental health treatment without needing to lodge a claim for a mental health condition. For details and to find out if you’re eligible, go to Fully funded mental health care for veterans.

You may be eligible for treatment for cancer and pulmonary tuberculosis, for more information visit: Fully funded treatment for cancer and pulmonary tuberculosis.

Veteran Payment

The Veteran Payment is an interim payment that you may get while we assess your claim for a mental health condition. 

Visit Veteran Payment to find out if you’re eligible.

Back to top

Who can help you

You can get support before, during and after the claims process.

Ex-service organisations and advocates

Ex-service organisations (ESOs) support current and ex-serving ADF members and families. They also provide information and assistance on pensions, compensation and rehabilitation. Find an ex-service organisation

ESOs have advocates who are trained to help you prepare and lodge:

  • claims
  • requests to review our decisions
  • appeals to the Veterans Review Board and Administrative Appeals Tribunal. 

They can also help you with information and referrals to our services, and other government and community services. 

Visit Finding an advocate to learn more.

Veteran Support Officers

DVA Veteran Support Officers provide personalised support and guidance to serving ADF members and families. They are located on Defence bases across Australia. 

Go to Veteran Support Officers for more information.

Crisis support

If you or someone else is in crisis and needs immediate help, find out where to receive urgent help and support.

Open Arms – Veterans & Families Counselling 

If you need counselling or support, Open Arms is a free and confidential 24-hour service for current and ex-serving ADF members and families. 

Call 1800 011 046 or go to Open Arms to get support or find out more.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?