Travel for treatment

Last updated:

Back to top

Travel for treatment during COVID-19 pandemic

If you are required by your health professional to travel interstate to seek medical treatment and are subsequently subject to COVID-19 related quarantine/isolation costs, we may be able to assist with those costs. Please call 1800 550 455 for more information.

Back to top

Travelling for treatment under the VEA

We provide eligible persons and their medically required attendants assistance with their transport when travelling for approved medical treatment.

If you travel for approved medical treatment or in connection with a claim for a Disability Compensation Payment or service pension, you may be eligible to claim travelling expenses under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA).

When travelling away from home or if you are on holidays, we recommend that you take out travel insurance.

Find out more about travel for treatment entitlements:

Back to top

Booked Car with Driver Service

We may arrange pre booked transport under the Booked Car with Driver (BCWD) service for travel to approved treatment locations. The BCWD service provides additional transport assistance for more aged and frail VEA clients to attend approved medical appointments. The BCWD service utilises contracted transport providers with a focus on a quality and reliable service by arranging a suitable vehicle to transport entitled persons to their appointment on time.

To request a Booked Car with Driver, or to discuss your eligibility for the service, call 1800 550 455.

Back to top

NSW Country Taxi Voucher Scheme

A NSW country General Practitioner (GP) may, when medically necessary or at the request of DVA, issue taxi vouchers to entitled persons residing in NSW country areas who require assistance when travelling for treatment purposes. This Scheme does not operate in the metropolitan areas of Sydney, Canberra or Wollongong, or for travel across the borders into Victoria and Queensland.

For a list of NSW country DVA contracted transport providers see:

Back to top

Emergency and Non-Emergency Ambulance

We accept financial responsibility for ambulance transport in a medical emergency for Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card holders in relation to an accepted disability. We will pay for non-emergency ambulance transport only in certain circumstances.

Back to top

Travel for treatment under the MRCA and DRCA

Under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) and the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA), you can claim reimbursement for the cost of reasonable travel expenses for treatment of an accepted condition if:

  • the journey exceeds 50km of a return journey when travelling by private vehicle; or
  • any length of a journey by public transport or ambulance where the accepted condition requires the use of this form of transport.

Travel by private vehicle is reimbursed based on a set rate per kilometre travelled.

You can lodge your travelling expenses claims using DVA’s online service, MyService. For more information, please visit the MyService website. Alternatively claims can be made by completing form D0800 Claim for Travelling Expenses.

Find out more about travel expenses:

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?