Finding a health provider

Last updated:

Information for Veteran Card holders on finding a health provider.

Back to top

What types of health providers we fund

We fund a wide range of health providers for eligible veterans, war widow(er)s and dependants, where clinically required. In general, we will fund treatment from a provider who is registered with Medicare to provide that treatment, including:

  • audiologists
  • chiropractors
  • clinical psychologists
  • dentists and dental specialists
  • diabetes educators
  • dietitians
  • exercise physiologists
  • GPs
  • medical specialists
  • neuropsychologists
  • occupational therapists
  • optometrists
  • orthoptists
  • orthotists
  • osteopaths
  • psychologists
  • physiotherapists
  • podiatrists
  • social workers (including mental health)
  • speech pathologists.

The Office of Hearing Services administers the Australian Government Hearing Services Program on our behalf.

Back to top

How to find a health provider

The best starting point is to go to Find a health service on the healthdirect website. This allows you to search by:

  • provider type, such as GP, occupational therapist or dentist
  • bulk billing arrangements
  • disability access
  • postcode.

You can also call healthdirect on 1800 022 222 for 24-hour health advice.

If you need more help finding a provider, you can call us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372).

Back to top

How to know if the health provider will accept your Veteran Card

We encourage all Veteran Card holders to contact the health provider to find out if they will accept the Veteran Card as full payment before making an appointment. 

If a health provider does accept your Veteran Card, they can’t ask you to pay a gap fee. If a health provider won’t accept your Veteran Card, there are other providers who will.

Back to top

Do you need a referral to see an allied health provider

Yes. Allied health services need a referral from a GP or medical specialist to be funded by us. An allied health provider cannot refer you to another allied health provider.

Back to top

Can you choose to be treated as a Medicare or private patient

Yes, you can choose to be treated as a Medicare or private patient. However, if you choose one of these options, we will not pay for any services that have been paid in part or full by Medicare, private health insurance or a third party compensation benefit.

Back to top

What to do if your health provider no longer accepts your Veteran Card

We are aware that some health providers make a business decision to no longer accept the Veteran Card. If this happens, you should ask your health provider to refer you to another provider who will accept your Veteran Card. You can also:

  • Look for a health provider through healthdirect. This website allows you to search by the provider type (such as GP, occupational therapist, dentist, etc.), bulk billing arrangements, disability access and postcode.
  • Call healthdirect on 1800 022 222 for 24-hour health advice.
  • Contact us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) if you need additional assistance.
Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?