Veteran Gold Card

Last updated: 
20 March 2020

What is the Gold Card

The Gold Card is a treatment card that provides you with clinically required treatment for all medical conditions.

You can also access a range of services and support.

The Gold Card is being redesigned and will be known as a Veteran Card.

Who can receive it

The Gold Card can be issued to:

Australian veterans who meet one of the following criteria

You are a veteran who:

You receive a Disability Pension:

You receive a Service Pension and:

  • you are permanently blind in both eyes
  • you have a permanent impairment under MRCA of at least 30 points from your service-related injuries or conditions; or
  • your income and assets are below certain limits. These rates are current between 1 July and 1 January, 2021:
    • If you are single, the income limit is $440.40 per fortnight and the asset limit is $311,750 for home owners, or $526,250 for non-home owners. 
    • If you are partnered, the combined income limit is $767.60 per fortnight and the asset limit is $477,000 for home owners, or $691,500 for non-home owners. 
    • If we work out your pension using old rules from before 20 September 2009, these amounts will be different.

You are a veteran, including reservists and cadets, and you:

  • have a permanent impairment under MRCA of at least 60 points from your service-related injuries or conditions; or
  • are eligible for the Special Rate Disability Pension (SRDP)

Commonwealth and Allied veterans who meet one of the following criteria

You lived in Australia immediately before your enlistment, you have qualifying service, and you are:

  • a veteran who served with a Commonwealth or Allied force during the Second World War
  • a veteran who served in certain operational areas, during specified periods, after the Second World War, for example Korea, Malaysia or Vietnam; or
  • a mariner who served on a Commonwealth or Allied ship during the Second World War

Australian civilians who meet one of the following criteria

You are an Australian Mariner who served in Australia's Merchant Navy between 3 September 1939 and 29 October 1945, and you are:

You were an Australian civilian British Nuclear Test participant who was:

  • directly involved in the nuclear tests; or
  • not directly involved in the nuclear tests but entered a nuclear test area at a relevant time

Dependents of veterans who meet one of the following criteria

You are:

  • receiving the War Widow/er's Pension
  • a wholly dependent partner, eligible young person or other dependent who is eligible for compensation for the veteran’s death under MRCA
  • eligible for the Orphan's Pension
  • a dependent child of a deceased veteran whose death is not accepted as war-caused, if the veteran had operational service and you are not being cared for by your remaining parent

What you can receive

The Gold Card covers you for clinically required medical treatment in Australia for all medical conditions.

Treatment may include:

  • treatment at a hospital or day procedure facility
  • treatment provided by an allied health professional
  • treatment provided by a General Practitioner (GP) or specialist
  • treatment provided by a dental or optical professional
  • medications at the cheaper concession rate
  • community nursing; and
  • pathology and medical imaging

Medical treatment is usually free if you see a provider who accepts your Gold Card. There may be some out of pocket expenses for high cost dental items.

When buying prescription items, you will need to pay $6.60 for each item until you reach your Safety Net Threshold for the calendar year.

You may also be able to receive some services and support. Services and support can include:

  • counselling
  • home help
  • medical aids, equipment and modifications
  • travel to and from medical appointments; and
  • care services

Services and support are free or low cost. Some co-payments apply if you receive help at home through our Veterans' Home Care program.

Your Gold Card may also entitle you to receive concessions or discounts, and a Lapel Pin.

How to get your Gold Card

If we know you are eligible, we will send you a Gold Card automatically.

If you are not automatically issued with the Gold Card, you need to apply. You can:

  • apply online through MyAccount
  • complete and return a claim form as an Australian Defence Force (ADF) veteran
  • complete and return a claim form as a British Nuclear Test or British Commonwealth Occupation Force Participant; or 
  • complete and return a claim form as a member of a SEATO medical team 

You can call us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) to request a claim form.

How you use it

As your Gold Card can provide you with a range of benefits and services, the way you use your Gold Card may vary.

Medical treatment

When you use your Gold Card for medical treatment:

  1. Tell your health provider that you have the DVA Gold Card and ask them if they will accept this for your treatment.
  2. They may ask if you have a referral.
  3. In some cases they may need to get prior approval from us.
  4. Your provider will then tell you if they can accept your Gold Card.

If you visit your doctor for a prescription, show them your Gold Card so they can prescribe your items through the Repatriation Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (RPBS).

You also need to show your Gold Card to pharmacy staff when you take your prescription to the counter.

If you do not show your card, you may be charged more, and the purchase may not count towards your Safety Net Threshold under the RPBS.

Services and support

Mention that you have a Gold Card when you request services and support. For further details on how to access services, see:

Things you should know

  • You can use your Gold Card anywhere in Australia.
  • You cannot use your Gold Card overseas. If you incur medical expenses for an accepted service-related injury or condition while overseas, you may be able to claim reimbursement.
  • Always check with your medical provider that they will accept your Gold Card.
  • If you are entitled to compensation or damages from another party for an injury or condition, we will not cover treatment for that injury or condition.
  • If you get a bill for medical treatment, do not pay it. Please contact us. If you have paid for medical treatment, you may be able to apply for a one-off reimbursement.
  • If prior approval is required for your medical treatment, your medical provider will contact us directly to ask for approval.
  • If you choose to be treated as a Medicare or private patient, we will not pay you for any out of pocket expenses.
  • When a veteran, former member, cadet or reservist passes away, their Gold Card is not transferred to the surviving partner or any other dependant. If the surviving partner or any other dependant is entitled to the Gold Card, they will receive their own.
  • It is possible to lose your entitlement to the Gold Card if your eligibility depends on your income and assets, living arrangements, age, impairment rating or the payments you receive.
  • If you lose eligibility for the Gold Card, you will be notified in writing and your Gold Card will be recalled.
  • If your eligibility for the Gold Card depends on having income and assets below certain limits, and your income or assets increase above those limits but not by more than 50%, you may be able to keep using your Gold Card for up to 13 weeks. 
  • If your income and assets increase above the limits following the death of your partner, you can keep using your card during the 98-day bereavement period. The Gold Card will be recalled at the end of the bereavement period.
  • Your Gold Card's expiry date is shown on the front of the card. You will receive a replacement card approximately 1 month before the expiry.
  • If your Gold Card is lost, stolen or damaged you can order a new one through 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372). You should receive your replacement card within 2 weeks of ordering. You can request a Gold Card confirmation letter while you wait for your replacement card.

What to tell us

If anything changes that could affect your entitlement to the Gold Card, you need to let us know within 14 days (or 28 days if you receive the Remote Area Allowance or live overseas). These changes may be to your:

  • payments
  • income or assets
  • impairment ratings
  • living arrangements

You should also tell us if:

  • your Gold Card is lost or stolen
  • you change address