Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Last updated: 
20 September 2020

What is the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

The Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) gives you access to cheaper health care and some discounts. CSHCs issued by us are the same as those issued by Centrelink.

Who can receive it

You can receive the card from us if you:

You also need to:

The amount of income you can have and be eligible for a CSHC is:

  • $55,808 per year if you are single
  • $89,290 per year (combined) for couples
  • $111,616 per year (combined) for couples separated due to ill health or respite care

Add $639.60 per year to these amounts for each child in your care.

We adjust these amounts on 20 September each year. Income we take into account when deciding whether you are entitled to a CSHC is:

If you are Age Pension age, you may be able to apply to Centrelink. You can only receive one card, either from us or Centrelink.

What you can receive

With your card you can receive:

We do not control the concessions offered by state authorities, organisations and businesses. They decide for themselves what concessions they will give you. Concessions may include discounts on:

  • electricity and gas bills
  • property and water rates
  • health care costs including ambulance, dental and eye care
  • public transport fares

You may need to show your:

  • Medicare Card to get Medicare services; and
  • CSHC to get other benefits

The CSHC may also entitle you to a quarterly payment of the Energy Supplement.

How to get your CSHC

You can:

If you are partnered you must tell us your partner's tax file number, unless you are exempt.

How you use it

Show your card to your doctor, pharmacist and other state and local government bodies.

Things you should know

  • When you show your CSHC to your concession provider, you allow them to check your CSHC eligibility with us and Centrelink.
  • If you are unable to get the card from us, you may be able to apply for the card from Centrelink. The income test is the same at Centrelink as it is with us.
  • If you are a maritally separated partner or widow/er of an age pensioner or invalidity service pensioner, you may also be eligible for a CSHC. Please contact us for more information.
  • You may be exempt from the CSHC income test if your pension was reduced to nil on 1 January 2017 because of changes to the pensions asset test. If this applies to you, you may be eligible for a CSHC regardless of your income.
  • If you were getting the Age Pension previously from us and have lost the pension due to your income or assets, you can apply to us for the card.
  • Age Pension age depends on your birthday. From 1 July 2017 pension age is 65 years and 6 months. After that, Age Pension age will go up 6 months every 2 years until 1 July 2023.

What to tell us

If anything changes that could affect your entitlements, you need to let us know within 14 days (or 28 days if you receive the Remote Area Allowance or live overseas).

You need to tell us if you or your partner:

  • have adjusted taxable income plus income deemed on account-based pensions that exceeds the CSHC income limit
  • purchase a new superannuation account-based pension
  • have a change in family circumstances
  • go overseas permanently or intend to travel overseas for more than 6 weeks; or
  • are granted a pension, benefit or concession card from Centrelink

If you get the card on the basis of estimated adjusted taxable income, you must send a copy of your notice of assessment from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

You must do this within:

  • 12 months of the end of the tax year; and
  • 3 months of the day on which you receive the notice of assessment from the ATO