Pensioner Concession Card

Last updated:

Back to top

What is the Pensioner Concession Card

The Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) gives you access to cheaper medicines, public transport and utilities. PCCs issued by us are the same as those issued by Services Australia.

Back to top

Who can receive it

We will send you a PCC if you receive one of the following payments from us:

Generally your eligibility for the PCC stops if your payment stops, however, eligibility is retained if you were receiving one of the above payments and either:

  • it stopped on 1 January 2017 because of changes to the assets test (PCC eligibility is retained for life)
  • it was suspended on or after 1 January 2023 due to your income, which must include employment income, exceeding the income limit (PCC eligibility is retained for the duration of the period of suspension).

The card will have your name and address on it as the primary cardholder. If you have a partner or dependant, their names will also be on your card. Your partner will receive their own card if they are eligible.

Back to top

What you can receive 

The rates quoted are current from 1 July 2024 to 19 September 2024.

The PCC entitles you to the following benefits from the Australian Government:

We do not control the concessions offered by state authorities, organisations and businesses. They decide for themselves what concessions they will give you. Concessions may include discounts on:

  • property rates and water charges
  • electricity and gas bills
  • public transport
  • motor vehicle registration fees
  • drivers’ licences
  • admission to various entertainment or sporting venues

Find concessions in your state or territory.

Back to top

How to get your Pensioner Concession Card

You do not need to do anything to get a PCC. If you get an income support payment from us, such as a Service Pension, Social Security Age Pension or Income Support Supplement, we will send you one automatically.

If you lose your PCC, or don’t have one and think you should, you can contact us.

Back to top

Things you should know

  • If we stop paying you an income support payment, your PCC will no longer be valid and you will need to destroy it. You may be eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card instead. As long as you are eligible, we will send you a new PCC every 2 years.
  • If you are 60 years or above, check with your state or territory government if you are eligible for a Seniors Card. Local businesses may accept these more often than a PCC. Eligibility is different for each state and territory.
Back to top

What to tell us

You should tell us if your PCC is lost or stolen, or if you change address.

If you receive an income support payment, there are more things you need to tell us about.

If anything changes that could affect your entitlements, you need to let us know within 14 days (or 28 days if you receive the Remote Area Allowance or live overseas).

You need to tell us if you or your partner:

  • have a change in your finances, aside from minor everyday fluctuations 
  • start or stop working, or your earnings change
  • take leave from your employer and don’t plan to go back
  • start or stop getting income from somewhere, such as an income stream, a rental property or a foreign pension
  • buy or sell shares or other investments
  • buy or sell your home or other property
  • get compensation payments we don’t know about
  • leave Australia, even for a short-time
  • start or stop living with a partner 
  • lend or give away money or other assets
  • move house or change your postal address
  • start or stop paying rent, or change how much rent you pay
  • have a dependent child who stops studying or moves out
  • have someone else move in with you or move out
  • move into aged care or a retirement village
  • go into respite care for more than 14 days
  • start or close a business
  • go to prison, or get out of prison
  • have something else change that could affect your payments
Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?