Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Last updated:

Back to top

Card benefits

The card enables you to get discounts and concessions on health care as well as other living costs.

Health benefits

You can get cheaper prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)

The benefits include:

  • prescriptions at the concession rate of $7.70 each
  • free prescriptions once you spend up to the PBS Safety Net limit in a calendar year.

Your GP may also be able to bulk bill your medical appointments.

You could have higher medical costs if you often need to:

  • see your doctor
  • have blood tests or scans.

You can get more back for each treatment under the Medicare Safety Net once you spend up to the limit.

Other living costs

You can also use your card to get discounts and concessions on:

  • electricity and gas bills
  • property and water rates
  • ambulance services
  • dental treatment
  • eye care
  • public transport fares.

You can find the full list of Government concessions in your state or territory.

We don’t set the discount and concession amounts. These are set by the organisations and businesses that charge these fees.

The discount amounts may change without notice.

Back to top


Your eligibility for the card depends on your circumstances.

You can get the CSHC if you are an Australian resident who is either:

Your eligibility also depends on the CSHC income test which includes:

You can earn up to:

  • $95,400 per year if you are single
  • $152,640 per year if you are a couple
  • $190,800 per year (combined) if you are a couple separated by illness, respite care or prison.

If you are caring for a child, you can earn an extra $639.60 per year.

You may be eligible for a CSHC even if you are no longer receiving a pension because of changes to:

  • your income and assets
  • the pension assets test on 1 January 2017.

You may also be eligible for a CSHC if you are a widowed or separated from a partner who receives either:

  • age pension
  • invalidity service pension.

If you already have a Pensioner Concession Card (PCC), you will not be eligible for a CSHC.

Back to top

Apply for a card

You can apply for your CSHC through us or Services Australia.

The card will have the same benefits whether it comes from us or Services Australia.

To apply through us, you can either:

If you are part of a couple, you will need to give us your partner’s information as part of your application.

We will need your partner's consent to collect the information. Your partner can either:

Back to top

How to use your card

To get discounts on medical treatment or prescriptions, show your CSHC card each time you visit your medical centre or pharmacy.

To get a concession on eligible bills, you need to apply to the organisation that provides you with the service.

You can apply for the concessions through the Government concessions in your state or territory page.

The organisation you apply to may contact us to check your card’s eligibility.

Back to top

What you need to tell us

It is important to tell us about changes that could affect your rate of payment.

You need to tell us about any changes within:

You must tell us if you or your partner:

  • earn more than the CSHC income test amount
  • buy a new superannuation account-based pension
  • change your family circumstances
  • move overseas or travel overseas for more than 6 weeks
  • start receiving a pension, benefit or concession card from Services Australia.

Estimated income

If you estimate your income when you apply for your card, you will need to send your notice of assessment from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to us within:

  • 12 months of the end of the tax year
  • 3 months of receiving your notice of assessment.
Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?