Veteran Support Office
Veteran Support Officers are located on Defence bases to provide personalised support and education to serving members and their families about their potential eligibility to access DVA benefits and entitlements.
On this page
What VSOs do
Veteran Support Officers (VSOs) are DVA staff members. They are located on Defence bases around Australia.
VSOs deliver services through one-on-one appointments. VSOs tailor support to an individual’s circumstances and needs.
A VSO can:
- Provide education on DVA supports and services
- Help you navigate MyService and complete claim submissions
- Offer support and guidance to you and your family during your transition journey.
You are welcome to bring a family member or trusted supports to attend VSO appointments. Early and proactive engagement with DVA will better prepare you for your separation or transfer from Defence.Back to top
Who they help
VSOs are available to help all serving members of the ADF and their families, including reservists. This includes members who are not leaving the forces. You do not have to be transitioning.Back to top
When to reach out to a VSO
It is important to engage with DVA throughout your military career and learn how we can help you.
You should get in touch with a VSO if you:
- are injured or unwell
- are medically or administratively separating
- have been medically downgraded at any time
- have been deployed at any time
- have come home from an exercise or deployment early because of injury or illness
- have any questions about the services and support we offer to you and your family.
Contact the VSO
Veteran Support Officers provide a DVA presence on over 56 Defence bases across Australia. You can get in contact with a VSO in your region by emailing VSO [at] dva.gov.au with your:
- Full name and date of birth
- PMKeys number
- Preferred telephone number
- State or territory.
You should tell us if you are separating or transferring from the ADF in the next 6 months.Back to top
What to do before your appointment
We will send you a consent form after you book your appointment. Please sign and return the consent form prior to your appointment by emailing it to VSO [at] dva.gov.au or bring it with you.
We encourage you to sign up to MyService before you come so we can show you how to get the most out it. Or we can help you sign up.
You are welcome to bring a support person with you.Back to top