Sort your finances

Last updated:

Once you've transitioned out of full-time service, you may have to contend with a change to your living costs and wages. 

There's help available if you're having troubles with your finances.

Back to top

DVA payments

In most cases, we will have to accept liability for a physical or mental condition before we can pay you an income support payment or compensation.

You will need to apply via MyService to get us to accept liability.

Veteran Payment

The Veteran Payment is an interim payment for those who:

This means that you can start to get assistance from us before we approve your claim.

Your partner may be eligible for their own Veteran Payment.

Back to top

Other payments

You may be eligible for payments from other government agencies or your superannuation fund. These payments may have an effect on the amount of pension or payment we pay you. You may wish to seek financial advice before starting or stopping one of these payments.

JobSeeker Payment

The JobSeeker Payment is a fortnightly payment for people who are between 22 and Age Pension age and who are looking for work. It is a Services Australia (Centrelink) payment.


After you leave full-time service, you may be eligible for a lump-sum payment or regular payments from your super fund. The amount you can get will depend on your individual circumstances. You should contact your super fund to ask for more information.

Back to top

Defence help

Before you leave full-time service, you should take advantage of all on-base help, including transition assistance seminars.

Once you've left, you can still access information on the Defence website. This includes information about:

Back to top

Support with financial literacy

Compensation for financial advice

Veterans and their families have access to a number of resources and payments designed to foster financial literacy, including online educational material, access to financial counselling, and compensation for professional financial advice. 

Veterans and dependants can be reimbursed for financial advice solicited for making a choice required by the legislation. MRCA clients can access compensation when making a choice between:

  • Special Rate Disability Pension and incapacity payments.
  • lump sum or periodic dependant compensation or a combination of both.
  • lump sum or periodic permanent impairment compensation or a combination 

DRCA clients can access compensation for financial advice solicited for the investment of a Severe Injury Adjustment or Additional Death Benefit. 

Other resources 

There are available a number of financial literacy services and resources free of charge to eligible members of the community, including veterans and their families. 

Financial Information Service (FIS)

FIS provides free, independent and confidential information, tools and resources to help customers make informed decisions about their current and future financial needs. FIS doesn’t provide financial advice, counselling, or advocate or promote particular products or providers. More information can be found through the Financial Information Service - Services Australia

ADF Financial Services Consumer Centre 

The ADF Financial Services Consumer Centre offers impartial financial education (not personal advice) and relevant resource material to all ADF personnel in order to assist them to make informed decisions and plans about their financial affairs, and empower them to improve their financial capability throughout their careers.


Moneysmart offers financial guidance for all Australians, including tools, tips and calculators to help people of all ages, backgrounds and incomes to build a better life. 

Commonwealth Superannuation Corporation (CSC)

The CSC offers financial planning services, including access to certified financial planners for fund members. For more information see the CSC website 

Bravery Trust

Bravery Trust is a national military charity which provides current and ex-serving members of the Australian Defence Force with financial aid, education and counselling.

Back to top

Mortgages and home insurance

Leaving the service does not automatically mean that your entitlements to the home ownership assistance scheme and to defence insurance cease.

Defence home ownership assistance

You may still have access to the home ownership assistance scheme after you leave full-time ADF service. If you have accessed the scheme in the past, you will need to contact the Defence Home Ownership Assistance team to let them know that you have left full-time service, as this change can impact your subsidy payment.

Home insurance

Defence Service Homes (DSH) Insurance provides home building insurance to all current and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) who have at least one day of service regardless.

This include reservists and peacekeepers. If you are insured with DHS Insurance you should contact them to update them any changes in your circumstances such as a change of address.

Back to top

DVA payments and child support

Your income support and compensation payments may be considered in an assessment of your income for child support purposes. Services Australia has more information on child support assessments.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?