This page explains what a Pension Supplement is, who is eligible, how much it is and how it is paid. It is relevant to you if you receive a Service Pension, Social Security Age Pension, Income Support Supplement or Veteran Payment from DVA.
This page is current from 20 September 2023 to 31 December 2023.
On this page
- What is a Pension Supplement?
- How much is the Pension Supplement?
- What if I go overseas?
- How do I apply for Pension Supplement?
- Is my Pension Supplement reduced if I don’t have a telephone or internet connection?
- What is quarterly Pension Supplement?
- Who can receive the minimum Pension Supplement amount quarterly?
- What do I need to do to receive my Pension Supplement quarterly?
- When is the quarterly Pension Supplement payable?
- How is the quarterly Pension Supplement amount calculated?
- Will I get the same amount each quarter?
- Is there any advantage in choosing quarterly payments?
- What happens if my pension or payment is cancelled?
What is a Pension Supplement?
Pension Supplement is a fortnightly amount paid to help you with the cost of prescriptions, rates, telephone and internet connections, energy, water and sewerage. It is payable to recipients of:
- Service Pension (Age, Partner and Invalidity)
- Social Security Age Pension
- Veteran Payment
- Income Support Supplement
You may defer a portion of the fortnightly Pension Supplement amount and have it paid to you quarterly.
Veteran Payment recipients are unable to have Pension Supplement paid quarterly.Back to top
How much is the Pension Supplement?
The maximum fortnightly rate of Pension Supplement for recipients of Service Pension, Social Security Age Pension and Income Support Supplement is:
- $94.20 – single
- $71.00 – partnered (each)
- $94.20 – illness separated.
These rates include Energy Supplement.
The maximum fortnightly rate of Pension Supplement for recipients of Veteran Payment is:
- $80.10 – single
- $60.40 – partnered (each)
- $80.10 – illness separated.
Veteran payment recipients will not receive Energy Supplement.
Your Pension Supplement may be reduced:
- under the income and assets test
- if you move overseas
- if you travel overseas for more than 6 weeks
- if you are single and enter a relationship
If you are an Australian resident, the minimum amount of Pension Supplement that recipients of Service Pension, Social Security Age Pension and Income Support Supplement will receive is:
- $57.20 – single
- $43.10 – partnered (each)
- $57.20 – illness separated.
This includes Energy Supplement.
The minimum amount of Pension Supplement you will receive for Veteran Payment is:
- $43.10 - single
- $32.50 - partnered (each)
- $43.10 - illness separated.
Veteran Payment recipients will not receive Energy Supplement.Back to top
What if I go overseas?
If you are travelling outside Australia temporarily, your usual rate of Pension Supplement may be payable for 6 weeks after departure from Australia.
If you are temporarily absent from Australia for longer than 6 weeks or you live overseas, you may, depending on your income and assets, receive Pension Supplement at the basic rate.
The basic rate of Pension Supplement is:
- $27.80 – single
- $22.90 – partnered (each)
- $27.80 – illness separated.
How do I apply for Pension Supplement?
Your Pension Supplement entitlement is determined when you apply for your pension. You do not need to apply for it separately.Back to top
Is my Pension Supplement reduced if I don’t have a telephone or internet connection?
The same rate of Pension Supplement is payable regardless of whether you have a telephone or internet connection.Back to top
What is quarterly Pension Supplement?
You have the option to receive the minimum amount of your Pension Supplement quarterly, rather than fortnightly. The remainder of the Supplement will continue to be paid fortnightly. If you choose the quarterly option, the amount of your payment each fortnight will be reduced by that portion, which will accrue and be paid to you at the end of the quarter. If you take no action, you will continue to receive your supplement fortnightly.Back to top
Who can receive the minimum Pension Supplement amount quarterly?
Clients in receipt of Service Pension, Income Support Supplement or Social Security Age Pension paid by DVA can elect to receive the minimum Pension Supplement amount quarterly.
Pensioners whose rate of pension is determined by the transitional arrangements (pre‑September 2009 rules) also have the option to receive an amount equal to the minimum Pension Supplement amount in a quarterly instalment.
Members of a couple can elect to have different payment frequency.
Veteran Payment recipients do not have the option to elect to receive the Pension Supplement amount quarterly.Back to top
What do I need to do to receive my Pension Supplement quarterly?
You can elect to receive the minimum Pension Supplement amount quarterly by contacting DVA by phone, request it in writing (by letter, email), or visit a DVA office. If you choose to receive the payment quarterly it will commence accruing on a daily basis from the first convenient payday after we receive your request. You can also change back to a fortnightly payment at any time.Back to top
When is the quarterly Pension Supplement payable?
Quarterly Pension Supplement is payable on the first practical payday after the end of each quarter.Back to top
How is the quarterly Pension Supplement amount calculated?
The minimum Pension Supplement amount (the portion of the Pension Supplement that can be paid quarterly) accrues daily in relation to each day on which a quarterly election is in force.
The daily rate is calculated by dividing the annual minimum Pension Supplement amount by 365.Back to top
Will I get the same amount each quarter?
No, each quarter will vary because the number of days in the quarters are different.
|Test Day||Covers period||Number of days|
|20 December 2023||20 September 2023 to 19 December 2023||91 days|
|20 March 2024||20 December 2023 to 19 March 2024||91 days|
|20 June 2024||20 March 2024 to 19 June 2024||92 days|
|20 September 2024||20 June 2024 to 19 September 2024||92 days|
Depending on when you tell us you want to be paid quarterly, we will need to exclude any minimum Pension Supplement amount that has already been paid in your fortnightly payments since the last test day.
If you were granted pension part way through the quarter, or you were overseas and not eligible for the minimum Pension Supplement, we will adjust your payment for any days for which you were not eligible to receive the minimum Pension Supplement amount.Back to top
Is there any advantage in choosing quarterly payments?
Pension Supplement entitlements are calculated daily, so there is no financial advantage or disadvantage in changing from quarterly to fortnightly payments.
However, you may find this option useful for budgeting purposes.Back to top
What happens if my pension or payment is cancelled?
If your income support pension or payment is cancelled, any minimum Pension Supplement amounts that have accrued for the quarter will be paid to you immediately.Back to top
You have a responsibility to keep us informed of changes that may affect the amount of pension or payment and Pension Supplement you receive. These responsibilities are described in our letters to you as ‘obligations’, and apply equally to trustees.
In order to meet your obligations, you need to tell DVA within 14 days (28 days if you live overseas or receive remote area allowance) if:
- your residential situation changes
- your relationship status changes
- you receive the maximum rate pension or payment and your income exceeds the ordinary income free area and/or your assets exceed the assets value limit
- you receive a reduced rate pension or payment and your income and/or assets exceed the limits stated in our most recent letter to you about your Service Pension, Veteran Payment or Income Support Supplement
- you move or travel overseas
- there is any other change that would affect the rate of your Service Pension, Veteran Payment or Income Support Supplement.
Social Security Age Pensioners (paid by DVA) who are receiving remote area allowance, need to tell us within 14 days, not 28 days.
Fulfilling your obligations within the specified time period assists us in maintaining your correct rate of pension.Back to top