Housing and accommodation

Last updated:

Back to top

Homelessness and our support

Apart from residential care, we do not provide housing or accommodation services, but may be able to provide some support and assistance to veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. For further information see Homelessness — DVA and Ex-Service Organisation support.

Back to top

Emergency accommodation and crisis payment

A 'one off' non-taxable crisis payment is available to assist eligible people in extreme circumstances establish themselves in a new residence or, (for victims of domestic or family violence) to re-establish their current residence after the perpetrator has left or been removed from the home.

Services Australia also offers emergency accommodation; see the Services Australia website for details on the services and support available to you. You can also contact us for advice on the services available in your area.

Back to top

How your residential situation affects your DVA payments

If you are receiving any payments, pensions or supplements from DVA, your residential situation can affect your payment — that is, whether you own or rent your own home, or if you are living in a granny flat, retirement village or under a sale leaseback agreement. Review the following information to find out more about how your situation may affect the payments you receive:

More information is available about your obligations regarding your personal and residential circumstances.

More information is available about DVA managed home loan subsidy schemes.

Back to top

Residential aged care

If you are unable to live independently in your own home and are considering moving into a residential aged care facility (RACF) you will need an assessment by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

More information on assessment and eligibility is available on My Aged Care or from the National Contact Centre on telephone 1800 200 422.

Residential aged care fees and charges

The latest stage of the aged care reforms came into effect on 1 July 2014, and includes a number of important changes to the way aged care is provided and financed.

You will be required to pay a contribution towards your residential care and living expenses. However, you may need to pay additional fees and charges depending on your situation. For more information on how these changes affect the veteran community please visit Aged Care Reform.

For more information on residential aged care fees and charges, visit My Aged Care which provides clear and reliable information on aged care services. My Aged Care Information Line: 1800 200 422.

Back to top

Residential respite care

If you are a Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card holder, and are receiving or providing ongoing care (including self-care) in your own home, you may be eligible for short-term residential respite care in an Australian Government-funded aged care facility.

Find out more about your respite care eligibility.

Back to top

Travel accommodation allowance

If you are a Gold or White Card holder you may be entitled to an accommodation allowance if you are travelling for:

  • approved medical treatment
  • a claim for a Disability Compensation Payment or service pension
  • an appeal before the Veterans' Review Board or the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

Find out about the current accommodation allowances payable under the Repatriation Transport Scheme.

Back to top

Loans and insurance

Information about loans and insurance services is available under 'Benefits and Payments'.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?