Crisis Payment

Last updated:

This page is about the Crisis Payment we pay. It explains who is eligible and how you can apply.

Back to top

What is a crisis payment

A Crisis Payment is a non-taxable, special payment to assist veterans and families in a time of crisis and financial hardship. The payment is to help those in certain situations to re-establish in a new residence.

We consider a range of personal circumstances to work out whether we can pay you a Crisis Payment.

Back to top

Who is eligible

We may pay a Crisis Payment, if you are:

  • a veteran, partner or war widow/er who receives a Service Pension, Income Support Supplement or DVA Age Pension, or you have made a claim for one of these
  • in Australia and eligible to receive an income support payment
  • in severe financial hardship.

You must also be experiencing one of the following situations:

  • You need to leave your home due to extreme circumstances.
  • You remain in the family home after being a victim in a domestic or family violence situation, and the perpetrator has left or been removed from the home.
  • You recently left, or are about to leave, lawful custody in prison or psychiatric confinement.
Back to top

What situations does the payment cover

We cover the following situations.

Extreme circumstances

The extreme circumstances situation covers people who:

  • live in a home that is uninhabitable for 5 or more days (for example, a home with structural damage or health risks such as water contamination, fire or smoke)
  • have left or cannot return home because of the circumstances
  • cannot reasonably be expected to remain in, or return to the home because of the circumstances
  • have established or intend to establish a new home
  • were in Australia when the circumstances happened.

Domestic or family violence

The domestic or family violence situation covers people who:

  • experienced domestic or family violence that occurred in Australia
  • were living with the family member at the time of the violence
  • remain living in the home but the perpetrator is no longer in the home.

Lawful custody

We define lawful custody as being either in gaol, or in psychiatric confinement after being charged with an offence.

To be eligible for a Crisis Payment under this situation, you must have been in Australian lawful custody for 14 days or more.

Severe financial hardship

As well as being in one of these situations, you must also be in severe financial hardship. To assess this, we need to know what liquid assets you have on the day you apply for the payment. A liquid asset is cash, or an asset you can easily convert to cash.

If you are single, your liquid assets must be less than the maximum fortnightly payment of DVA income support pension payable to you. If you are a member of a couple, your liquid assets can be twice this amount.

Back to top

How much is the payment

The Crisis Payment is equivalent to one week of a Service Pension payment.

  • If you are single, you can receive $548.35.
  • If you are a member of a couple, you can receive $413.35.
Back to top

Restrictions on receiving the payment

  • You cannot receive more than one payment for the same circumstances.
  • You cannot receive more than 4 payments in a 12 month period (unless you are applying due to being released from lawful custody).
  • Veteran Payment recipients are not eligible for a Crisis Payment.
  • You cannot receive a Crisis Payment from both DVA and Centrelink.
  • Family members include your partner, father or mother, sister, brother or child or other relevant person.
Back to top

When to apply

You must apply for the payment within 7 days of the situation or circumstance occurring.

Back to top

How to apply

To apply for the payment, complete one of the following forms:

D0568 if you are applying due to a domestic violence or extreme circumstances situation.

D0567 if you are applying because you left prison or psychiatric confinement.

You can submit the completed form to us either by:

If you need help to apply or other support, please call 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372).

Back to top

Other ways we can help

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, go to Homelessness support services for information on other ways we may be able to help you.

You can also get urgent help or support at this time.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?