Homelessness Support Services

Last updated: 
10 January 2020

There is support available for you and your family if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

How to get help

For assistance and to get the support you need, you can:

You can also go to one of our Veterans’ Access Network offices to talk to someone about your situation.

We can:

  • refer you to support services in your local area
  • connect you with our support services
  • provide you with information on any support payments available to you
  • provide you with information about Services Australia (Centrelink) payments and services
  • refer you to Services Australia (Centrelink) for support
  • connect you to a network of organisations that can assist you

Ex-service organisation support

Ex-service organisations (ESOs) provide assistance to current and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF). They may help you to:

  • lodge your claims with us
  • find an advocate
  • prepare for the civilian workforce
  • connect with other former serving members and their families

A number of ESOs can provide you with specific support when you are at risk of homelessness or are homeless.

You can find an ESO offering homelessness support close to you:

To find information about other ex-service organisations refer to Find an ex-service organisation or you can search through the Engage website.

Crisis payment

A crisis payment may be paid to you to help you find somewhere to live or you need to change accommodation because of family violence.

To receive a crisis payment you need to be:

  • receiving service pension, income support supplement or age pension through us
  • have made a claim for one of these payments
  • living in Australia
  • be eligible to receive payment
  • in severe financial hardship

More information about the crisis payment can be found on our Crisis payment page. 

Crisis accommodation program

To access the crisis accommodation program you need to call Open Arms on 1800 001 046. They will assess your eligibility and suitability for the program.

If you are eligible, they will book you into an accommodation as close as possible to your current location.

Who is eligible

The program is open to:

  • current members of the ADF
  • former members of the ADF
  • their partner
  • a dependent child

State and territory support services

We can refer you to a homelessness agency in your local area. Some of the services available for people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness in Australia are:

Australian Capital Territory

OneLink on 1800 176 468 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm or Saturday and Sunday 12:30pm to 5pm)

New South Wales

Link2Home on 1800 152 152 (24 hours, 7 days)


Opening Doors on 1800 825 955 (24 hours, 7 days)


Homeless Hotline on 1800 47 47 53 (24 hours, 7 days)

Western Australia

Entrypoint Perth on (08) 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684 (Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm or Saturday 9am to 5pm)

South Australia

Homelessness Gateway on 1800 003 308 (24 hours, 7 days)

Youth Gateway: 1800 807 364 (24 hours, 7 days) is a service for young people aged 15 to 25

Northern Territory

Shelter Me provides an online directory of homeless services across the Northern Territory


Housing Connect on 1800 800 588 (24 hours, 7 days)

ESO state and territory homelessness services

The following ESOs provide homelessness services to veterans and their families:

New South Wales

Homes for Heroes

Tel: 1300 232 564

Emergency telephone: (02) 8978 4371 or 0427 545 715

Email: homesforheroes [at] rsllifecare.org.au

Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia NSW Branch Inc

Tel: (02) 9673 1818 or 0400 135 710


Redlands RSL Sub-branch Inc (QLD)

Tel: (07) 3488 1102, (07) 3488 1199 or 0411 867 047

Bulimba District RSL Sub-Branch

Tel: (07) 3999 8879 or (07) 3358 3155

Email: admin [at] rslsouthqueensland.org

Manly Lota RSL Sub-branch

Tel: (07) 3348 2572 or 0418 751 812

Email: manlylotarsl [at] bigpond.com

Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia QLD Branch Inc

Tel: (07) 4723 0569 or 0400 032 786

Email: secretary [at] vvaaqueensland.asn.au

South Australia

Returned and Services League of Australia (SA Branch) Inc.

Tel: (08) 8100 7300

Email: admin [at] rslsa.org.au


Email: warvets [at] rslcaresa.com.au

Tel: (08) 8379 2600


Vasey RSL Care Ltd

Tel: (03) 9810 5500

Email: info [at] vaseyrslcare.org.au or office [at] vaseyrslcare.org.au

Melbourne Legacy

Tel: (03) 8626 0500

Email: csv [at] legacymelb.com.au

Returned & Services League of Australia (RSL), Victorian Branch

Tel: (03) 9655 5555

Email: rslvic [at] rslvic.com.au

Western Australia

Legacy WA

Tel: (08) 9486 4900

Email: reception [at] legacywa.com.au


Returned & Services League of Australia (RSL), Tasmania Branch

Tel: (03) 6242 8900

Email: admin [at] rsltas.org.au

Hobart Legacy

Tel: (03) 6234 6581

Email: admin [at] legacyhobart.com.au

To list your organisation’s information to this page, please contact us through our General enquiries form.

Research into homelessness in the veteran community

We are committed to better understanding homelessness and the risk factors for former members of the ADF. To do this we have invested in the following 3 research reports: