Motor Vehicle Compensation Scheme

Last updated: 
28 October 2019

If you have an accepted service-related injury or illness that limits your mobility, we may help with the cost of modifying a vehicle to suit your needs.

Who can receive it

You may be eligible for MVCS if you:

  • are impaired because of an injury or condition accepted under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA)
  • clinically assessed as unable to drive or be driven safely or comfortably in an unmodified vehicle; and
  • would benefit from using the vehicle at least twice a week

If your injury or condition has been accepted under the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA), please visit the Vehicle Assistance Scheme instead.

What you can receive

If you're eligible, we may be able to pay part of or the total cost of:

  • modifications to an existing vehicle; or
  • a modified vehicle to suit your needs, if an existing vehicle isn’t suitable

We may also partly or entirely pay for:

  • repairs and maintenance for vehicle modifications
  • any extra insurance cost related to the modifications; and
  • a replacement vehicle once your current one is 5 years old, or has driven 100,000km, and your current vehicle is no longer safe or suitable.

How you claim

There are a few ways you can request assistance from MVCS.

You can:

  • fill out a compensation form, and tick the box for ' Vehicle modications ' in Part F
  • send us a letter requesting compensation under MVCS
  • let your needs assessor know that you'd like vehicle modifications
  • talk to your rehabilitation assessor about trouble you're having with driving; or
  • contact us directly

If you want to claim through a compensation form, you'll need to follow all instructions on the form, and provide your identity documents

Mail your compensation form or letter (and a certified copy of any required identity documents) to:

GPO Box 9998, BRISBANE QLD 4001

If you're eligible, we'll ask a Driver Trained Occupational Therapist (OT) to assess your needs and find out what modifications you might need. Your OT will also teach you (or your preferred driver) how to use your modified vehicle safely.

Things you should know

  • If you live in residential care and aren't able to leave, we can't provide you with assistance under MVCS.
  • If we help you buy a vehicle, you'll need to register, insure it comprehensively for its full value, and maintain it.
  • You will need to discuss any transactions you wish to make involving your modified vehicle with us as this may affect your entitlement.
  • If you disagree with a decision we've made, you can ask the Veterans Review Board (VRB) to review your claim within 12 months of receiving the decision. If you're unhappy with the VRB’s decision, you may also ask the Administrative Appeals Tribunal to look at your claim.

What to tell us

If anything changes that could affect your entitlements, you need to let us know within 14 days (or 28 days if you receive the Remote Area Allowance or live overseas).

You need to tell us if you:

  • are planning to move into residential care
  • intend to sell, give away or dispose of your vehicle
  • intend to use your vehicle as security for a loan; or
  • anything else changes that could affect your entitlements