Motor Vehicle Compensation Scheme
If you have an accepted service-related injury or illness that limits your mobility, we may help with the cost of modifying a vehicle to suit your needs.
On this page
Who can receive it
You may be eligible for MVCS if you:
- are impaired because of an injury or condition accepted under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA)
- clinically assessed as unable to drive or be driven safely or comfortably in an unmodified vehicle; and
- would benefit from using the vehicle at least twice a week
What you can receive
If you're eligible, we may be able to pay part of or the total cost of:
- modifications to an existing vehicle; or
- a modified vehicle to suit your needs, if an existing vehicle isn’t suitable
We may also partly or entirely pay for:
- repairs and maintenance for vehicle modifications
- any extra insurance cost related to the modifications; and
- a replacement vehicle once your current one is 5 years old, or has driven 100,000km, and your current vehicle is no longer safe or suitable.
How you claim
There are a few ways you can request assistance from MVCS.
- fill out a compensation form, and tick the box for ' Vehicle modications ' in Part F
- send us a letter requesting compensation under MVCS
- let your needs assessor know that you'd like vehicle modifications
- talk to your rehabilitation assessor about trouble you're having with driving; or
- contact us directly
If you want to claim through a compensation form, you'll need to follow all instructions on the form, and provide your identity documents.
Mail your compensation form or letter (and a certified copy of any required identity documents) to:
GPO Box 9998, BRISBANE QLD 4001
If you're eligible, we'll ask a Driver Trained Occupational Therapist (OT) to assess your needs and find out what modifications you might need. Your OT will also teach you (or your preferred driver) how to use your modified vehicle safely.Back to top
Things you should know
- If you live in residential care and aren't able to leave, we can't provide you with assistance under MVCS.
- If we help you buy a vehicle, you'll need to register, insure it comprehensively for its full value, and maintain it.
- You will need to discuss any transactions you wish to make involving your modified vehicle with us as this may affect your entitlement.
- If you disagree with a decision we've made under MVCS, you can ask us to review your claim. The review will be undertaken by the Commission following a request in writing from you within three months of the decision. Your request must provide reasons why you consider the decision is incorrect. If you're unhappy with the outcome of the review, you may seek review by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
What to tell us
If anything changes that could affect your entitlements, you need to let us know within 14 days (or 28 days if you receive the Remote Area Allowance or live overseas).
You need to tell us if you:
- are planning to move into residential care
- intend to sell, give away or dispose of your vehicle
- intend to use your vehicle as security for a loan; or
- anything else changes that could affect your entitlements