Speech pathology services

Last updated:

Back to top

What are speech pathology services

A speech pathologist can help you improve your speaking, language and swallowing skills. 

Back to top

Who can receive it

You may be able to receive speech pathology services if you have an assessed clinical need and a:

Back to top

What you can receive

If you are eligible for speech pathology, your speech pathologist may provide you with a treatment plan. Through the plan your speech pathologist will determine the type, number and frequency of services you require according to your assessed clinical need.

Your treatment plan may include exercises and techniques to help you:

  • speak clearly
  • communicate more easily
  • work through any issues with swallowing
  • overcome a stutter or lisp

From 1 October 2019, referrals to this service will be under the Allied Health Services treatment cycle. This means that a referral will last for up to 12 sessions or 1 year, whichever ends first.

These treatment cycles place you at the centre of your care and the general practitioner (GP) as your care coordinator.

There are no limits to the number of treatment cycles you can have.

You can also have:

  • a separate treatment cycle for each allied health service you need; and
  • treatment cycles for different allied health services at the same time
Back to top

How you access services

1. Get a referral to a speech pathologist covered by the Medicare Benefits Scheme (MBS). You may get the referral from:

  • your general practitioner (GP)
  • a medical specialist
  • your treating doctor in hospital
  • a hospital discharge planner

2. Contact your speech pathologist to make an appointment. Confirm they will accept your Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card for their services.

Back to top

Things you should know

  • If you're treated as a private patient or through Medicare we may not be able to pay for your treatment.
  • If you get a bill from your speech pathologist please contact us before paying anything.
  • Let your speech pathologist know about any similar treatments you've had in the past 12 months.
  • If you live in permanent residential aged care, your eligibility for speech pathology services may change.
Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?