Dental Program Review
We are undertaking a review of our dental program to investigate how it can continue to meet the current and future needs of the veteran community.
On this page
What is covered by our Dental Program
Our dental program provides eligible clients with access to a comprehensive suite of dental services including:
- preventive treatment such as examinations and cleaning
- simple treatment such as fillings and extractions
- complex treatment such as crowns, bridges, implants and dentures
- emergency treatment following unforeseen injuries
Program eligibility is based on Veteran Card type:
- Gold Card holders are entitled for treatment of all dental conditions
- White Card holders are only eligible for treatment of their accepted dental condition or the dental consequences of cancer treatment.
Why we are reviewing our Dental Program
We are undertaking a review of our dental program in 2020-21 to ensure it continues to meet the current and future needs of the veteran community. A key component of this review has been consulting with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure a high quality and comprehensive review. The review will:
1. Assess the appropriateness, effectiveness and efficiency of our dental program from a veteran, provider and Government perspectives, and
2. Provide findings and recommendations to inform any future program re-design.
The consultation process provided an opportunity for you to raise issues or concerns of relevance from veterans, ex-service organisations and providers.Back to top
How feedback will be used
We sought feedback on a number of aspects of the dental program and have developed Discussion Papers for Ex-Service Organisations (ESO), veterans and their dependents and Dental Practitioners. These papers were developed for the purpose of consultation and seek stakeholder feedback on two broad themes:
- the effectiveness of the current program
- options for future program re-design
The input is helping guide the development of any changes to the dental program and better meet the needs of our veterans.
Making a Submission
Submissions for the Review are now closed. The Department would like to thank the members of the veteran and dental communities who provided their feedback.Back to top