Community nursing

Last updated:

Back to top

What is Community Nursing

Community nursing (CN) is clinically required nursing and personal care services provided in your home by qualified nurses and support staff. Services can include help with medication, wound care, hygiene, showering and dressing.

The following brochure contains information about DVA CN services for veterans, family members and carers. 

Back to top

Who can receive it

You may be able to receive community nursing if you have an assessed need for care at home and a:

Back to top

What you can receive

Help with things like medication, wound care, hygiene, showering and dressing. If eligible, you do not need to pay, as we will pay for these services. Your CN provider will bill us directly. 

Back to top

How you access community nursing services

You will need to get a referral to community nursing services from a:

  • general practitioner (GP)
  • specialist 
  • nurse practitioner specialising in community nursing
  • treating doctor in hospital; or
  • hospital discharge planner.

A referral is only required if you are a new community nursing client or you are starting a new episode of care. For example, if you change providers or return to community nursing services after an absence of more than 28 days.

Once the service provider receives your referral, a registered nurse will assess your clinical needs.

The nurse will:

  • contact us to confirm that you are eligible for services if you hold a Veteran White Card
  • assess your need for clinical nursing and personal care services, and
  • prepare and provide you with a copy of a written community nursing care plan, which is tailored to your needs.

You can find the list of CN providers in your area here: Panel of community nursing providers.

Back to top

What to tell us

If anything changes that could affect your entitlements, you need to let us know within 14 days (or 28 days if you receive the Remote Area Allowance or live overseas).

You should tell us if you:

  • get a bill for nursing services - do not pay the account, contact us instead
Back to top

What to tell your Community Nursing provider

  • you have been hospitalised
  • you plan to go on holiday
  • you plan to move to another location 
  • the level of help you require changes
  • you take up more permanent care arrangements
  • you plan to move overseas, or
  • if you are unhappy with the service or you have any comments or concerns about the provider or their staff. 

You can call us on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) if your service provider has not addressed your concerns.

Back to top

Things you should know

The amount and type of care you get will be reviewed regularly by a Registered Nurse, to make sure you are getting the right care, in consultation with you.

Back to top


Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986

Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004

Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?