What help you can get under the MRCA

Last updated:

Find out about the payments and support you can get if you served after 30 June 2004.

Back to top

What is the MRCA

The Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) covers current and former ADF members with service after 30 June 2004. It provides treatment, rehabilitation and compensation for service-related injuries and conditions.

It also covers dependants following a death related to ADF service after 30 June 2004.

Find out about:

If your injury or condition only relates to service before 1 July 2004, you may be able to get compensation and other benefits under one or both of the following:

Back to top

What you can get without claiming compensation

You may be able to get free mental health treatment without needing to lodge a claim for a mental health condition. For details and to find out if you’re eligible, go to Non-Liability Health Care (mental health) for veterans.

Depending on when you served and the nature of your service, we may also cover free treatment for cancer and pulmonary tuberculosis.

Back to top

How we can help while your claim is in progress

If you have claimed a mental health condition and cannot work more than 8 hours a week, we may be able to pay you a Veteran Payment while we assess your claim. It is an income support payment, so your income and assets affect how much you can receive. It is also available to partners.

If any injury or illness you claim is on our list of 20 most commonly accepted conditions, we can pay for treatment for that condition while your claim is in progress. This applies to claims submitted before 30 June 2024.

Back to top

What support you can get after your claim is accepted

If we decide that your injury or condition is service related, the next step is a needs assessment. This gives us a chance to consider how the condition impacts you and what support you need.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to access various payments and support.

Go to Compensation payment rates for MRCA for current payment rates.

Permanent impairment payments

Permanent impairment (PI) payments compensate you for the lasting effects of an injury or condition. You can get them if:

  • we have accepted the condition as service related under the MRCA
  • the condition has caused permanent impairment.

You can choose fortnightly payments, a lump sum or a combination of both.

We calculate PI payments for warlike or non-warlike service at a higher rate than for peacetime service. However, the maximum rate is the same for all types of service.

For more information, go to our page about permanent impairment.

Incapacity payments

Incapacity payments compensate you for not being able to earn as much income because of a service-related injury or condition. They are paid fortnightly.

We work out your incapacity payments based on the difference between:

  • what you were earning before your injury or incapacity
  • your current earnings or ability to earn.

Because the amount that we pay depends on your current situation, it can change over time.

Find out more about incapacity payments and how we calculate them.

Special Rate Disability Pension

If your ability to work is severely affected, we may offer you a choice to either switch to a Special Rate Disability Pension or stay on incapacity payments. 

You should get financial advice from a suitably qualified adviser before you decide. Find out more about the Special Rate Disability Pension, including how to get help with making that decision.


After we have accepted your claim, we will assess your rehabilitation needs. This includes your medical management, social support and vocational rehabilitation needs.

You may be able to get help with:

  • developing a tailored program to help you to reach your goals
  • aids, equipment and modifications to your home, vehicle and workplace so you can be as independent as possible
  • establishing a meaningful and fulfilling career outside the ADF
  • adjusting to your new circumstances and focusing on recovery.

Find out more about rehabilitation.

Veteran White or Gold Card

When we accept a condition as related to your service, we will send you a White Card that covers treatment for that condition. If you already have a White Card, we will add it to your list of accepted conditions.

Find out more about the kinds of treatment you can get at Veteran White Card.

In some situations you may be eligible for a Gold Card, which covers treatment for all conditions. Find out more at Veteran Gold Card.

Household and attendant care

You can get extra support if you need help at home because of a service-related injury or condition. This help can include:

  • house cleaning
  • gardening
  • cooking
  • laundry services
  • attendant care services such as bathing, dressing or feeding.

For further information, visit household and attendant care services.

Back to top

What support your dependants can get

Your family can get financial help and other support if you die as a result of ADF service. They can qualify as a wholly dependent partner, eligible young person or other dependant.

Find out more about benefits for dependants.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?