Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) will fund all dental services, provided under DVA arrangements, necessary to meet a clinical need for Veteran Gold Card holders. For Veteran White Card holders, dental treatment can only be provided in relation to your accepted disabilities.
If unsure, providers can confirm treatment eligibility of a Veteran White Card holder's accepted condition(s), by calling DVA on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) — select Option 3, then Option 1.
Dental therapists, dental hygienists and oral health therapists can provide dental services to members of the veteran community if they are:
- registered with the Dental Board of Australia and comply with approved scope of practice registration standards
- covered by either their employer's indemnity insurance or maintain their own insurance as mandated by the Dental Board of Australia
- qualified and competent to provide the service.
Claims for these services are to be submitted by the dentist or dental specialist on their behalf at the current DVA dental fee.
See also: How to become a DVA health provider
These notes explain the procedures to be followed when providing health care services to eligible members of the veteran community.
The list of pharmaceuticals approved for prescribing by dentists under the RPBS can be found under 'Dental Items' at the PBS website.
Enquiries regarding RPBS dental prescribing can be directed to the Veterans' Affairs Pharmaceutical Advisory Centre (VAPAC) on 1800 552 580 (24-hour free call).
Summary of fee schedules A, B and C for dentists and dental specialists
Schedules A, B and C together form the DVA comprehensive dental schedule. For further information see the fee schedule on dental and allied health fee schedules.
A separate fee schedule exists for dental prosthetists.
- Prior approval not required for Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card holders (except where specified)
- Prior approval is required for items marked with an asterisk (*) if treatment is provided above the quantity and/or time limits listed in Schedule A
- No annual monetary limit.
- Prior approval required for all Veteran card holders
- No annual monetary limit.
- Prior approval not required (see exceptions below)
- Annual monetary limit
- Prior approval is required for treatment plans that include Schedule C items for all eligible beneficiaries who are exempt from the annual monetary limit.
- The annual monetary limit does not apply to all ex-prisoners of war (POWs) and eligible beneficiaries receiving dental treatment related to war-caused disabilities or malignant neoplasia.
- Refer to the dental and allied health fee schedules for detailed information.
- An annual monetary limit applies to most DVA beneficiaries for all items listed as Schedule C in the fee schedule for dentists and dental specialists.
- Refer to the dentists and dental specialists fee schedule for the current limit.
- The limit is not cumulative, so any part of the limit not expended in a calendar year cannot be used in subsequent years.
- Before providing services, you should discuss this matter with your patient and check with DVA whether any or all of their limit has been expended for that calendar year.
The veterans exempt from this limit are:
- ex-prisoners of war
- Veteran White Card holders (specific conditions) with a related accepted disability
- Veteran White Card holders (specific conditions) with diagnosed malignant neoplasia or other determined condition that has a direct or indirect dental component
DVA will pay for the full cost of Schedule C treatment for exempt beneficiaries, subject to the following conditions:
- you must obtain prior approval from DVA before commencing treatment
- the maximum fee payable is the approved Commonwealth fee for the particular service, and where the fee is 'Fee by negotiation', the fee paid is that which is negotiated with DVA
- you must not make any separate charge against the beneficiary
Providers must contact DVA before administering the following services to be able to claim for payment:
- all services listed as Schedule B items in the Fee Schedule of Dental Services for Dentists and Dental Specialists
- all services listed as requiring prior approval in the Fee Schedule of Dental Services for Dental Prosthetists
- any service that is not listed in the fee schedules
- treatment plans which include Schedule C items for all DVA entitled persons who are exempt from the annual monetary limit
- all 'fee by negotiation' items
- the treatment of a DVA entitled person requiring the use of a general anaesthetic
You must not commence treatment until DVA advises you of the result of your request.
Refer to the full fee schedule for items requiring prior approval.
All dental implant treatment requires prior approval from DVA.
The Osseo-integrated Dental Implant Policy and Guidelines sets out the circumstances in which DVA may accept financial responsibility for dental implant treatment.
To request approval for dental implant treatment for a DVA client see the request form.
- Crowns that attach to implants (items D/S671, D/S672 and D/S673) require prior approval
- Where implants are provided in a public hospital, in some states, the cost of the prostheses are included in the bed rate and therefore the specialist may need to liaise with the hospital as to payment or arrangements for the equipment to be provided for the surgery
Important information on the completion of the implant request forms
In January 2018, DVA updated the Dental Implants request form. The updated form requires the input of the restorative phase provider and the surgical phase provider of the dental implant treatment. The medical General Practitioner no longer needs to complete a form for dental implant treatment requests.
Additionally the separate forms for the restorative phase and surgical phase providers have been combined into a single form, with a section for each provider to complete. Finally, the same form is now used for both single tooth implants and implant retained dentures. The new form follows:
If you require access to the previous forms as you are part way through a dental implant request, and one provider has already completed the old individual forms, please call the Health Approvals team on 1800 550 457.
The restorative phase provider is considered to be the case coordinator for the provision of the single request form. They are responsible for ensuring the single request form is fully and correctly completed by both providers.
A request that does not include a fully completed form and all supporting documentation will be declined.
Prior financial approval
To request prior approval from DVA, send a completed D0986 — Dental Request Form to health.approval [at] dva.gov.au, or if you do not have access to email please mail to:
Health Approvals & Home Care team
Department of Veterans' Affairs
GPO Box 9998
Brisbane QLD 4001
For urgent cases or for further information on dental services, please contact the Health Approvals & Home Care team on 1800 550 457, or via health.approval [at] dva.gov.au.
The above prior approval request process applies for veterans who may be entitled under New Zealand or another Allied Country's legislation.
Claim for payment
Claims should be submitted as soon as possible after treatment has been provided.
For online claiming enquiries please send an email to onlineclaiming [at] dva.gov.au or contact DVA.
For manual claiming, send all claims for payment to:
Veterans' Affairs Processing
GPO Box 964
ADELAIDE SA 5001
Claim enquiries: 1300 550 017
Forms no longer online from 4 February 2019
As of 4 February 2019, these forms are no longer available online.
Due to insufficient demand, a number of DVA provider health care claim forms and vouchers have ceased to be available from the DVA website.
Manual claiming still remains an option to health providers who are unable to access online claiming