We support health checks for veterans to help them stay well after they move into civilian life. We offer general practitioners (GPs) custom assessment tools to help assess a veteran's physical and mental health.
We offer the:
- One-off Veteran Health Check for a veteran to have once, any time after they leave the Australian Defence Force (ADF)
- Annual Veteran Health Check for a veteran to have each year for up to 5 years after they leave the ADF
Watch our Youtube video to learn more about the 2 types of health checks.
We recommend 45 minutes to conduct a check. Depending on the veteran's health, you may need more or less time.
As a qualified GP, a qualified health professional such as a practice nurse, may assist you.
Veterans may be eligible for 1 or both types of health checks.
One-off Veteran Health Check
To receive a One-off Veteran Health Check, a veteran must:
- be a former ADF member
- have served at least 1 day
A veteran does not need to be a DVA client to access the One-off Veteran Health Check.
Annual Veteran Health Check
To receive an Annual Veteran Health Check, a veteran must:
- be a former ADF member who moved to civilian life from 1 July 2019
- have served at least 1 day
- have a DVA Veteran Card
Veteran Health Check Assessment Tool
We have designed a custom tool to help you check for health conditions that are common to veterans. It includes screening processes for:
- alcohol and substance use
- post-traumatic stress disorder
- psychological distress
There are 2 ways to access the Veteran Health Check Assessment Tool:
Guide to the Veteran Health Check Assessment Tool
The guide offers:
- treatment pathways
- referral advice
- reference documents
- links to our forms
We have short and in-depth versions of the guide.
You can access online resources through Open Arms including:
- training programs
The Centenary of ANZAC Centre also offers online resources including:
- e-learning courses
Before you start a claim
Check our fee schedule for medical services before you start your claim.
You cannot charge a gap payment for any services you provide under a DVA item number. This includes the Annual Veteran Health Check.
We encourage you to bulk bill non-DVA clients who have a One-off Veteran Health Check. If you do not bulk bill them, they can get a Medicare rebate.
The One-off Veteran Health Check uses Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) item numbers:
- 701 brief health assessment, lasting no more than 30 minutes
- 703 standard health assessment, lasting no more than 45 minutes
- 705 long health assessment , lasting no more than 60 minutes
- 707 prolonged health assessment, lasting more than 60 minutes
The Annual Veteran Health Check uses DVA item numbers:
- MT701 brief health assessment, lasting no more than 30 minutes
- MT703 standard health assessment, lasting no more than 45 minutes
- MT705 long health assessment, lasting no more than 60 minutes
- MT707 prolonged health assessment, lasting more than 60 minutes
Start a claim
The Department of Human Services will process your claim for us.
You can start the claims process through our DVA Webclaim system.