A guide for entering the Anzac Day Schools’ Awards
Every year, DVA is proud to host the Anzac Day Schools’ Awards – a national competition that recognises the work of students, teachers and schools who engage with veterans and learn about Australia's wartime history. Every year we are inspired by the creativity and dedication to commemoration displayed by students and teachers around the country.
The awards’ theme for 2023 is ‘Commemorating Australia’s Vietnam War Service’. The theme encourages students to discover personal stories and take part in commemorative activities to honour the service and sacrifice of Australian men and women who served, 50 years on since the end of Australia’s involvement in the Vietnam War.
But what makes for an award-winning entry, and how should schools apply? This year, DVA’s Education team has come up with a handy step-by-step guide for teachers to create appealing commemorative projects with their students:
- Step 1 is to plan your commemoration. How will students at your school learn about and commemorate Australian service personnel who served during the Vietnam War? Many schools hold special ceremonies or assemblies to commemorate wartime anniversaries, but we encourage you to consider other creative ways to honour Vietnam veterans, for example:
- a podcast or videos with veteran interviews and stories
- an exhibition, gallery walk, virtual tour, class artwork, mural, garden or memorial to commemorate and reflect an aspect of service in the Vietnam War
- a website to share veterans' stories and student investigations.
- Step 2 is to research the Vietnam War. Historical research using credible sources is important for students to develop a good understanding of Australia's involvement in the war. Our Anzac Portal has multiple resources and suggestions for external sources that may help your students. One of these is a brand new book – Australia and the Vietnam War – which explores Vietnam’s history leading up to the war, the experiences of Australians who served there, and the impact on those at home. (Available from 6 March)
- Step 3 is to check the entry requirements. Please carefully read the entry conditions early in your preparation to avoid difficulties later. To be eligible, your entry must focus on the Vietnam War and the service of Australian veterans.
- Step 4: Submit your entry by 31 May 2023! Schools can start preparing now and submit any time before this deadline.
For the full step-by-step guide, as well details on prizes, judging criteria and entry instructions, please visit the Anzac Portal.
And if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact our Education team at education [at] dva.gov.au. They are eagerly awaiting your entry!