Changes to concessional travel in Victoria and NSW

Changes to NSW and Victorian concession travel arrangements from 1 January 2022.

Victoria’s free travel voucher scheme

Victoria’s free public transport voucher program is changing significantly. From 1 January 2022, Victorian residents will no longer receive free travel vouchers. The program has moved to an ‘opt-in’ program, with eligible DVA clients now having to register with Public Transport Victoria (PTV) to continue receiving free travel vouchers annually.

You can register online for free travel vouchers or in person at a PTV Hub. Register by 31 July 2021 to receive your 2022 vouchers in September/October 2021. If you register after 31 July 2021, you will receive your vouchers in the following year’s mail-out. You only need to register once and the vouchers will be mailed to you each year, provided you remain eligible.

If you have already registered through PTV’s other eligibility categories, such as a Senior or Carer, you don’t need to register again. This is because the free voucher scheme has been streamlined, which means all eligible customers get access to the same entitlement, regardless of your concession category.

As part of the new voucher program, PTV is phasing out peak-free travel vouchers. However, eligible DVA clients who previously received one peak voucher per year will now be eligible for two or four off-peak vouchers annually (depending on where you live — metro or regional).

For more information, visit the Public Transport Victoria’s Free travel vouchers webpage or call 1800 800 007.

Update on NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card

From 1 January 2022, NSW war widows/ers will no longer receive their NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card.

Instead, you can now use your Veteran Gold Card to apply for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card. This will enable you to travel on senior/pensioner fares in NSW at the same reduced rate.

Keep your Veteran Gold Card with you as proof of entitlement for concession fares.

You can apply for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card on the Opal website. Make sure you have your NSW Pensioner Concession or DVA Veteran Gold card handy to confirm your eligibility.

Interstate seniors can apply for a Gold Opal card on the Opal website or by printing the Interstate Seniors application form available on the Transport NSW website and following the instructions provided. You will need to apply 2–3 weeks before travelling to NSW.

To find out more, visit Transport NSW’s Veterans and War Widow/ers webpage.