Review of Veterans’ Home Care and Community Nursing programs
In the 2021–22 Budget, DVA received funding to undertake a comprehensive review of veterans’ care and support programs.
The review of the Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) and Community Nursing programs as DVA’s main care and support programs, has now begun.
DVA has engaged the Nous Group, an independent consulting company, to review these programs and their related arrangements.
The review will identify options for possible reforms to ensure that these programs remain client-focused, and the key components are modernised. These options will be considered in the context of current aged-care reforms, and ensuring the veteran community continues to have access to high quality care and support services into the future.
The VHC and Community Nursing programs have been in place for a long time. The review will determine how they could be improved to remain fit-for-purpose and deliver on their objectives. The Nous Group will review these programs, and provide DVA with options.
The review will focus on:
- how we can ensure that care providers choose to deliver services to the veteran community. This will include considering whether the set fees are competitive in the current market and identifying opportunities to minimise service provider administration costs.
- whether the programs deliver services aligned with need and contemporary service delivery.
- opportunities to create efficiencies for providers through harmonising the programs.
- aligns with the Government’s broader agenda to reform aged care, in response to the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
- advances the Government’s broader commitment to increase support for older Australians to remain living at home.
- supports DVA’s priority to improve the health and wellbeing of veterans.
The Nous Group and DVA will consult with the veteran community and service providers on the current arrangements and how they could be improved.
Information on the consultation process will be made available on this website shortly as details are confirmed.
Service providers will receive more information about the review through the Veterans’ Home Care and Community Nursing Bulletins.