Notice for users of essential medical equipment
- Are you a user of essential medical equipment? Are you medically required to use heating and cooling systems? If so, you may be eligible for an annual payment to assist with the running costs.
Veterans may be eligible to claim the annual Essential Medical Equipment Payment (EMEP) to help with energy costs associated with running essential medical equipment.
From 1 July 2020, the annual payment of $163 (indexed annually) will be provided to eligible veterans’ for each piece of essential medical equipment or as a single payment for medically required heating or cooling.
The items considered as essential medical equipment eligible for the EMEP are listed below:
- home dialysis machine
- home ventilator
- home respirator
- home enteral or parenteral feeding device
- oxygen concentrator
- heart pump
- suction pump
- insulin pump
- infant apnoea monitor (when prescribed by a medical practitioner following apnoeic events)
- nebuliser (if used daily)
- continuous positive airways pressure device (CPAP)
- phototherapy equipment
- airbed vibrator
- electric wheelchair
For more information on the eligibility and how to make a claim, visit the DVA website:or call 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372).