Skip to Content

Homelessness - DVA and Ex-Service Organisation support

DVA Support

Apart from residential care, DVA does not provide housing or accommodation services, but may be able to provide some support and assistance to veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness as detailed below.

Who do I contact if I am homeless or at risk of becoming homeless?

Phone DVA on 1800 555 254* or visit a Veterans’ Access Network (VAN) office for assistance. Addresses of VAN offices are detailed on the VAN office location page.

If you work in the homelessness sector, you can phone DVA and ask to speak with the Health Promotion and Early Intervention (HP&EI) Section whose role is to improve communication between DVA programs and mainstream services for the homeless; however, it does not provide individual case management services.

Can DVA provide me with short term crisis accommodation?

Potentially, DVA’s Crisis Assistance Time Out program can be arranged day or night and provides eligible individuals with short term accommodation for up to 5 days. This gives the individual time to seek the assistance of the VVCS – Veterans and Veterans Family Counselling Service to address the problems that resulted in his/her homelessness and to rebuild relationships with their family and/or community.

As this service is unsupported, VVCS is unable to assist those who:

  • have a substance abuse problem,
  • are at risk of self harm, or
  • have violence issues.

VVCS may be able to assist people with such problems if they have an appropriate support network in place, such as a homelessness sector case manager.

For more information, refer to the VVCS Crisis Assistance Program webpage.

Crisis Payment: Information on a DVA Crisis Payment is available on the Housing and Accommodation page

General Support

There are various services available for people at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness, in Australia. State, Territory and local Governments, as well as many community sector organisations, operate telephone services which are a good first point of information and referral. A list of contact telephone numbers are below: 

  • ACT - First Point on 1800 176 468 (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm and Sat 10am – 1 pm) is the central intake service for homelessness in the ACT.
  • NSW - Link2Home on 1800 152 152 (24 hours, 7 days) provides information, conducts assessments, as well as makes referrals to homelessness services across NSW.  The service is for people who are homeless or who are worried they will become homeless, as well as for advocates acting on a person's behalf.
    link2home 1800 152 152
  • VIC - Opening Doors on 1800 825 955 (24 hours, 7 days) will direct your call to a service closest to you, or if the call is outside business hours, it will be directed to Salvation Army Crisis Services.
  • QLD - Homeless Hotline on 1800 47 47 53 (24 hours, 7 days) is a phone information and referral service for people who are experiencing homelessness.

  • WA - Salvo Care Line on (08) 9442 5777 (24 hours, 7 days) - For people experiencing a crisis, enabling them to gain access to a network of services including referral to emergency accommodation; telephone counselling; and information and referral for other material needs.

  • SA - All available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (free call from landline phones)
    Homelessness Gateway: 1800 003 308
    Youth Gateway: 1800 807 364 (young people 15 - 25 who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless),

  • NT - Shelter Me is a directory of homeless services for homeless "Territorians" and contains a comprehensive guide to services in all areas of the NT

  • TAS - Homeless Support Helpline on 1800 800 588 (24 hours, 7 days) - Provides immediate support, information on your options and can arrange immediate emergency accommodation.

Ex-Service Organisation (ESO) Support

ESOs provide assistance to current and former ADF members. Services can include but are not necessarily limited to:  welfare support, assistance with DVA claims, and employment programs and social support.

A number of ESOs have provided advice on specific support to ex-ADF members and, in some cases, their families, when they are at risk of homelessness or are homeless. The following provide details of this support:

For other ESOs in your area, visit the ESO page on the DVA website that lists major ESOs.

Any ESO or Community Organisation that supports ex-ADF members who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and would like their details added to one (or more) of the above lists, please utilise the document attached below and e-mail the advice to


Average: 2.6 (13 votes)