The MHPE Program raises awareness about men's health issues in the veteran community. The program supports and educates members of the veteran and ex-service community and encourages men to share responsibility for their own health and wellbeing.
MHPE operates in all Australian states and territories through a network of trained volunteers.
MHPE volunteers share information in a number of ways, including:
- giving talks on health issues at ex-service organisation meetings
- setting up or working with a men's shed
- running stands at community expos, field days or health conferences
- organising or supporting a Veterans’ Health Week or International Men's Health Week event
- distributing the MHPE Magazine and other health resources
- chatting about health issues to mates at social events
- encouraging and supporting veterans to take part in our Health Promotion initiatives such as Pit Stop training, the Cooking for One or Two program and 10,000 Steps Challenge
The Men's Health Peer Education Magazine is no longer being published. Veteran health and wellbeing featured articles are now being published in the Vetaffairs newspaper.
The latest edition is here: https://www.dva.gov.au/newsroom/vetaffairs/vetaffairs-vol-36-no1-autumn-2020 publication. If you wish to receive a quarterly copy of Vetaffairs, please email vetaffairs [at] dva.gov.au
You can read previous editions of the Men’s Health Peer Education magazine online. Please refer any questions about the Men’s Health Peer Education Magazine to MensHealth [at] dva.gov.au.
To help you manage your health and wellbeing we have also developed a quick health quiz and health information guide.
If you'd like to find out more about MHPE in your local area, you can contact your state or territory's MHPE coordinator:
- QLD - call 07 3815 9505 or MHPEQLD [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
- WA - call 08 9366 8591 or MHPEWA [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
- VIC - call 03 9284 6285 or VMBMHPE [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
- TAS - call 03 6221 6735 or MHPETAS [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
- NT - call 08 8935 1426 or MHPENT [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
- SA - call 08 8290 0301 or MHPESA [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
- NSW and ACT - call 02 9213 7661 or MHPENSW [at] dva.gov.au (send an email)
A health and wellbeing portal that provides resources for you and your family.
A health check with your GP that can help optimise physical and mental health and wellbeing and connect you with support after you transition from the ADF
We can cover the cost of treatment for all mental health conditions without having to prove the conditions relate to your ADF service.