Currently, there are 32 active Men’s Health Peer Education (MHPE) volunteers throughout Western Australia.
The majority of volunteers are located in the Perth metropolitan area. We also have volunteers located in the following regional towns:
- Port Hedland
Many MHPE volunteers are involved with local ex-service organisations and have other volunteering roles.
The West Australian volunteers provide peer-to-peer support to veterans and their families as well as to others in their community. Volunteers focus on promoting health and wellbeing and increasing the awareness of health issues and the support available. The volunteers perform a number of roles which include:
- Provide peer-to-peer support to encourage veterans to look after their health
- Distribute health information to the veteran and wider community
- Promote the MHPE program in their local area
- Host and assist with Veterans' Health Week activities
- Distribute the National MHPE magazine
- Assist DVA staff to promote the MHPE program at various community events and health expos
- Facilitate pop-up stalls at the:
- High Wycombe Shopping Centre, on the second and fourth Thursday of each month, located outside Friendlies Chemist.
- Forrestfield Shopping Centre, on the first Friday of each month, located at various areas within the shopping centre.
- Banksia Grove Shopping Centre, Thursdays fortnightly outside Friendlies Chemist and an occasional Wednesday outside Woolworths.
- St Stephen Anglican Church market, Forrestfield, last Friday of each month.
- Rockingham Naval Club, static stall set up.
- Rockingham RSL, static stall set up.
- Port Kennedy RSL, static stall set up.
As part of the support offered to MHPE volunteers, DVA conducts facilitated Recall Training each year. Recall Training provides volunteers with new information on health topics and provides the opportunity to network with other program volunteers. Volunteers receive regular updates through the MHPE National magazine and associated newsletters.
For enquiries about the WA MHPE program, contact the DVA WA MHPE Coordinator via MHPEWA [at] dva.gov.au
If you would like to speak to a West Australian volunteer, contact the WA MHPE Volunteer Representative below:
WA MHPE Volunteer Representative
Mobile: 0419 663 246
Email: rossharp [at] ii.net