National Mental Health Commission Review
Review of services available to veterans and current serving members of the Australian Defence Force in relation to the prevention of self-harm and suicide
On this page
On 11 August 2016, the Prime Minister, the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs and Defence Personnel and the then Minister for Health and Aged Care announced a review of the services available to veterans and members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) in relation to the prevention of self-harm and suicide (the Review).
The Review focused on the type and efficacy of the self-harm and suicide prevention services that are available, and looked at prevalence rates and potential barriers to accessing services.
The Review was undertaken by the National Mental Health Commission and the final report was presented to Government on 28 March 2017.Back to top
The Commission's Report
The Commission’s report to Government comprises of a Final Report: Findings and Recommendations, plus a number of supporting reports, which detail findings from the various research methodologies undertaken throughout the Review.
- Final Report: Findings and Recommendations (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Literature Review (PDF 3.2 MB)
- Submissions (PDF 1 MB)
- Surveys – Preliminary Results (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Key Informants (PDF 810 KB)
- Group Discussions (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Review of ADF and DVA Documentation (PDF 1.6 MB)
The Government's response
The Government has considered the Commission’s report and has released its response. This response outlines work already underway within the Departments of Defence, Veterans’ Affairs and Health and sets out the Australian Government’s commitment to continue to improve the support available to current and ex-serving ADF members and their families.
The Government response to the Review was released on 30 June 2017.
- Government response (PDF 2 MB)
Government response (DOCX 2 MB)
- Key Messages and Snapshot (PDF 250 KB)
- Media release
- For more information about the Review, please visit the National Mental Health Commission’s website.