General practitioner and medical specialist services

Last updated: 
21 February 2020

We may be able cover the costs of medical services from your General Practitioner (GP) and medical specialists.

What is a general practitioner (GP)

A GP who provides medical care to eligible members of the veteran community.

What is a medical specialist

A medical specialist is a medical practitioner who is qualified to practice a particular specialty of medicine.

Who is eligible?

If you have a Veteran Gold Card, we can pay for medical services, available through DVA arrangements, to meet your clinical needs.

If you have a Veteran White Card, we can pay for medical services provided through DVA arrangements, if they are required because of an accepted war or service caused injury or disease.

If you are an allied veteran, you are eligible for treatment of war caused disabilities accepted by your country of enlistment. Please see factsheet Commonwealth and Other Allied Veterans for information on the services available.

Veteran Health Checks

All those who have served in the ADF can access a comprehensive One-Off Veteran Health Check, any time after transition. A Medicare rebate is available for this. You do not need to be a DVA client to access this health check.

The Annual Veteran Health Check is available for those who transitioned after 30 June 2019. DVA fully-funds an Annual Veteran Health Check every year for the first five years after you transition. You will need your DVA Veteran card to access this.

How do I access these services?


You can contact your GP directly to receive medical treatment. Please check with your GP prior to your consultation or receiving treatment that they accept DVA Health Card/Veteran Card arrangements, and present your DVA Gold or White Card at the commencement of your appointment.

Medical Specialist:

Your GP can provide you with a referral to receive services from a medical specialist. Please check with the medical specialist that they accept DVA Health Card/Veteran Card arrangements prior to your consultation or treatment and present your DVA Gold or White Card at the commencement of your appointment.

What happens when I visit my GP or medical specialist

The GP or medical specialist will assess your clinical need and provide advice, treatment, a medication review, a prescription and/or a referral to another health care provider as appropriate.

The GP or medical specialist will provide you with a copy of the treatment record for your reference.

Do I need to sign a treatment record

Your GP or medical specialist can submit treatment records electronically. If this is not the case, you may be required to sign a record of treatment at the completion of each visit to ensure your treatment is covered by DVA. Before you sign, please check that the treatment record shows all of the following:

  • your name
  • your DVA file number
  • the date of treatment
  • the item number for the service provided
  • your accepted disability or condition for which you required medical services and/or supplies (if you are a White Card holder)

If you are unable to sign, a member of your family, or someone else who attends the appointment with you, may sign on your behalf. Otherwise the GP or medical specialist must note that you are unable to sign.

What services can my GP arrange for me

Where clinically required, your GP can:

  • provide necessary prescriptions and referrals
  • conduct regular reviews of your medication and treatment
  • coordinate all your health services
  • prepare a health care plan, health assessment or case conference for you under certain conditions
  • in some cases, perform acupuncture.

Generally, the only medical services a GP may arrange or provide for you are those listed on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).

Are there any limits or restrictions to the services my GP or medical specialist can provide

Yes, there are restrictions on the types of services your GP or medical specialist can provide. If your GP or medical specialist is unsure what restrictions apply they should contact DVA using the contact details under Additional Information at the end of this factsheet.

Who can my GP refer me to

Where clinically required, your GP may refer you for:

  • Allied Health treatment such as physiotherapy, diabetes education or podiatry
  • medical specialist treatment such as cardiology or hearing services

Please refer to Health Services Available to the Veteran Community for more comprehensive information of services available to entitled persons.

Can my GP or medical specialist arrange transport for me?

Yes, your GP or medical specialist can arrange transport for you. A booked car with driver for travel to specific treatment locations can be arranged by contacting the Repatriation Transport Unit in the nearest DVA office. To make a booking, see the contact details under the Additional Information section at the end of this factsheet.

If you are aged 80 years or over, legally blind, or suffering from dementia you are not required to meet the medical criteria and can be transported to all DVA approved treatment locations.

For more information see make a transport booking.

Do I need to pay for treatment?

You should confirm prior to your appointment that the GP will accept your DVA Gold or White card for full payment of their services and will bill DVA directly for any care provided to you under DVA arrangements. This will ensure you do not incur any out of pocket expenses.

If you cannot locate a provider in your area, please contact us and we may be able to assist you in locating a provider who accepts DVA arrangements.

Can I choose to be treated as a Medicare or private patient?

Yes, you can choose to be treated as a Medicare or private patient. However, if you choose one of these options, DVA will not pay for any services that have been paid in part or full by Medicare, private health insurance or a third party compensation benefit.