The Better Health Program is a GP-based program. It provides participants with access to Cancer Screening (provides early detection for colorectal cancer and melanoma) and Health Information and Disease Prevention (promotes a healthy lifestyle by providing information on health conditions, including erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety).
If you are assessed as a SHOAMP Health Care Scheme Group 1 participant, or you have been granted Tier 1, 2 or 3 classification, you are eligible to participate in the Better Health Program.
The Better Health Program provides screening for colorectal cancer and melanoma and information on erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety. The services provided through the Better Health Program include:
- Colorectal cancer screening. Two screening options are available and your GP will determine which option is best for you – either a faecal occult blood test or a colonoscopy.
- Melanoma screening either through an examination by your GP, or through dermoscopy and/or total body digital photography; and
- Health information on erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety.
If you are diagnosed with a condition, as a result of this screening, you should consult your GP for treatment options.
To register for the Better Health Program, you should complete the SHOAMP Health Care Scheme Group 1 registration form.
If you would like a registration form sent to you, please contact the DVA general enquiries:
After you have registered your interest and you are verified as eligible, you will receive:
- A letter of authority to show to your GP;
- Information on erectile dysfunction, depression and anxiety.
If you wish to access services from a GP or specialist providers, eg Gastroenterologist or Dermatologist, you must first contact the Better Health Program staff through DVA General Enquiries on 1800 VETERAN (1800 838 372) to request prior approval. (Failure to do so may result in you having to pay for the consultation and/or screening procedure).
DVA general enquiries:
Better Health Program
GPO Box 9998
MELBOURNE VIC 3001