If you are an eligible veteran you may not have to pay the GST on the purchase or lease of a car or car parts.
We consider a car to be a new or used motor vehicle (except a motorcycle or similiar) desiged to carry:
- a load less than 1t
- fewer than 9 passengers
Car parts can include:
- disc brake pads
Car parts are not:
- accessories such as mudflaps
The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) provides this concession.
You served in the Australian Defence Force (ADF) or any other Commonwealth armed force and as a result of that service you:
When you buy a car or car parts for your personal transport, you intend to use the car:
- for at least 2 years
- until the car can no longer be used for its ordinary use; or
- to travel at least 40,000km
You are not able to get this if you are a:
- cadet's officer
- cadet's instructor
- declared member
The maximum value of the car is $57,581 including GST. If the car exceeds this amount GST is payable on the balance above $57,581.
Complete the Declaration for an exemption of GST on a car or car parts - disabled veterans.
Present the following to the car dealership:
- your completed declaration for an exemption of GST on a car or car parts - disabled veterans; and
- your Veteran Gold Card with TPI embossed or a letter from DVA confirming your eligibility
The dealership needs to keep copies of the documents as the authority to supply the car, or car parts to you GST-free.
You do not pay GST to the motor dealer if total market value is under the maximum value of $57,581.
- The ATO provides car tax concessions to a person with disability.
- If you have paid GST on a car or car parts and you think you should have been eligible for a concession, you may still be able to get a refund of the GST. Call the ATO on 13 28 66 for further advice.
Motorcycle GST Rebate Scheme
A rebate for the GST paid on a motorcycle or motorcycle parts. You may be able to get this rebate if you have a serious service-related injury or condition.
Vehicle Assistance Scheme
Help with a car if you have a serious service-related injury or condition that affects your mobility.
Motor Vehicle Compensation Scheme
Vehicle assistance may be available in limited circumstances if you have ADF service after 1 July 2004.
Medical aids, equipment and modifications under RAP
These items may help you to remain safe and independent.