On this page
What is Attendant Care
A personal care service to meet essential and ongoing needs. This may include:
- dressing; and
Care may be short-term while you recover after surgery or long-term for chronic health conditions.Back to top
Who can receive it
You may be eligible if you:
- need this service due to a condition that has been accepted as service-related under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) or the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA); and
- have an assessed need for this service
How much you can receive
Your clinical needs determine how much care you can receive. The provider who undertakes your initial assessment determines your needs.
We can reimburse you or pay your service provider directly for approved services provided. There is a maximum rate that we can pay. If you receive these services under DRCA the maximum amount is $512.17 per week. If you receive this service under MRCA the maximum rate is $532.11 per week.Back to top
How you access
- To be considered, complete and return the claim form. Your medical provider will also need to complete part of this form.
- We will contact you and you let you know if you are eligible for an assessment. If eligible, we will refer you to a suitable provider. Your provider will:
- assess your need for personal care; and
- recommend to us the services you need because of your accepted service-related DRCA or MRCA injury or condition.
- We will contact you and let you know if you are approved for services. If approved, you will need to:
- choose a suitable service provider
- confirm they have current checks and clearances
- talk with the service provider about suitable times for service; and
- make sure service standards are maintained
What to tell us
You should tell us if:
- you are getting services, aids and equipment from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- the level of help you require changes
- you take up more permanent care arrangements, such as palliative care or residential aged care.
- you plan to move to another area or overseas; or
- service standards are not being maintained
Things you should know
- Only in exceptional circumstances would we consider approving your spouse or family member to provide this service.
- If eligible for Attendant Care you may also qualify for Household Services.
- We will review the level of care you need to make sure that you are getting the right amount of support.
- While you are in hospital or respite care you will not be able to access this care service.