Short-term care which is medically necessary for recovery following a stay in hospital.
We will cover the cost of convalescent care for any condition if you have a Veteran Gold Card.
If you have a Veteran White Card, we will cover the cost of convalescent care if we paid for the original hospital admission.
Care is available in a range of settings such as:
- public or private hospitals
- multi-purpose services
- Australian Government-funded aged care facilities
- supported residential services in Victoria
- other suitable institutions
Convalescent care cannot be provided in your home.
You do not need prior approval for care in a public or private hospital, or a multi-purpose service.
There is no limit on the number of days that you can access care in a public or private hospital.
You need prior approval from us for care in:
- an Australian Government funded aged care facility
- a supported residential service
- other institutions
We will pay for up to 21 days of care in a financial year in a non-hospital institution.
To access convalescent care, talk to:
- a hospital discharge planner
- your treating doctor
- a social worker; or
- a nurse
They will contact us if prior approval for the cost of care is required.
- Residential respite care is a different service to convalescent care.
- Commonwealth funding for residential respite care cannot be used to pay for convalescent care services.
You should tell us if you:
- receive a bill for convalescent care; or
- take up more permanent care arrangements, such as residential aged care or palliative care