Commonwealth and other allied veterans

Last updated: 
23 January 2020

How Commonwealth and Other Allied Veterans living in Australia can access DVA health services. We also provided information on how to apply for a Veteran White Card, what treatment services are available and DVA’s role in providing these services to you.

DVA’s Role

The Australian Government has agreements with several countries that allow DVA to provide treatment to ex-service personnel who have disabilities that have been accepted as war-caused by the country you enlisted with.

Will I receive a DVA Health Card/Veteran Card?

If you served with:

you will receive a Veteran White Card for any disability that has been accepted as war-caused by the country you enlisted with and if you meet any other eligibility criteria that they have, such as degree of impairment or time periods for emigration.

What treatment can I get?

You are able to receive the full range of treatment services that are available to Australian veterans for the disabilities your country of enlistment has advised you are covered for.

For more information please our information about cards.

*Note: - You are not entitled to non-liability health care which only covers veterans of Australian forces.

How do I apply for a Veteran White Card?

If you consider that you have a disability which results from your war service, you should contact DVA. Officers of DVA will be able to assist you in completing any relevant application forms that are required by the relevant overseas government you served with.

If you have already been notified by the overseas government that a disability has been accepted as war-caused, you should contact DVA so that your Veteran White Card can be issued or updated.

Do I need to tell my doctor that I am a Commonwealth or Other Allied Veteran?

Yes, you should tell your doctor that you are a Commonwealth or Other Allied Veteran so he or she can confirm your treatment eligibility before referring you to another health provider.