Further information

Last updated: 
10 January 2020

Quality of aged care and services

All residential aged care facilities that receive subsidies from the Commonwealth must be accredited under the Residential Aged Care Accreditation Standards. The standards cover areas such as management, staffing, health and personal care, residents' lifestyle, living environment, safety and security.

The Australian Aged Care Quality Agency is responsible for accrediting homes and monitoring them against the standards. Their accreditation assessors visit each home and may talk to residents, their family members and the staff about the home and how it meets the standards.

DVA has no contractual relationship with residential aged care facilities, so these arrangements also cover those in the veteran community that access these services.

Further information is available at Australian Aged Care Quality Agency.

Aged care complaints

The Aged Care Complaints Commissioner provides a free service for anyone to raise their concerns about the quality of care or services being delivered to people receiving aged care services funded by the Australian Government. Feedback can be provided by using either of the following options:

DVA has developed a close collaboration with Department of Health to advocate for the care needs and interests of veterans in residential aged care and mainstream community care.

Aged care advocacy

The Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) provides free, independent and confidential services that support older people, their families and representatives across Australia to raise and address issues relating to accessing and interacting with aged care services.

To access the OPAN, call the National Aged Care Advocacy Line on 1800 700 600 or visit OPAN.