Respite Care

Last updated:

We may be able to give you (if you care for someone) or your carer a break or arrange other care if you/your carer need to go away on short notice.

Back to top

What is respite care

Respite care gives the carer a break from caring duties.

There are 3 types of respite care available via the Veterans’ Home Care Respite Program:

Back to top

Who is a carer

A carer can be a friend, partner or family member who provides ongoing care to someone who is frail or has a severe disability or illness. The carer does not need to live with the person they care for. Depending on your situation, if you care for yourself we may consider you a carer.

Back to top

Check if you can get respite care

You may be entitled to respite care if you have a carer or you care for someone and you have either 1 of the following:

The types of respite you can access will depend on your situation.

In-Home Respite

You may be eligible for In-Home Respite if either:

  • your carer needs a break from their caring duties
  • you need a break from caring for someone

In-home respite does not include doing housework or giving medication.

Residential Respite

You may be eligible for Residential Respite if you intend to return to your home in the community, and either:

  • your carer needs a break from their caring duties
  • you need a break from caring for yourself

Emergency Short-Term Home Relief (ESTHR)

You may be eligible for Emergency Short-Term Home Relief (ESTHR) if both:

  • your carer is suddenly unable to continue their caring duties
  • you would otherwise be left without care or admitted to hospital
Back to top

Access respite care

In-Home Respite and ESTHR

For In-Home Respite care or ESTHR, you can call the Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) Assessment Agency directly on 1300 550 450 to arrange an assessment.

The VHC Assessment Agency will discuss your needs and organise a care plan. They will send your care plan to a VHC Service Provider, who will then send the plan to you and contact you to arrange a suitable time to provide the service or services.

To arrange emergency respite outside business hours you can contact Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737.

Residential Respite

For Residential Respite, you will need to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), or Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS) if you are in Victoria. Call 1800 200 422 to arrange for an assessment.

Once ACAT or ACAS approves you for Residential Respite, you will need to find an Australian Government-funded facility with an available respite bed. You can find a facility in your area by going to My Aged Care. Contact the facilities you are interested in to find out if they have an available bed.

Once you have booked your respite bed, call the VHC Assessment Agency directly on 1300 550 450 so they can arrange for us to pay for your care.

If an Australian Government-funded aged care facility is not suitable, for example if you are under 65, you may be able to get Residential Respite in another type of accommodation. Call the VHC Assessment Agency directly on 1300 550 450 to discuss your options and get approval.

Back to top

How much you can get

Each financial year we will pay for up to either:

  • 28 days of Residential Respite care
  • 196 hours of In-Home Respite care
  • a combination of both

To work out a combined total, we count 7 hours of In-Home Respite care as equal to 1 day of Residential Respite. If you need more than 28 days of Residential Respite, you can contact My Aged Care to ask about additional days.

We can also pay for up to 72 hours of ESTHR each time you use it, up to 216 hours in a financial year. ESTHR is only available until you can access other suitable care.

For Residential Respite, you can access up to 63 days per financial year, and we will pay the basic daily care fee for the first 28 days. After that you will need to pay the basic daily care fee.

If you are a former Australian prisoner of war or a Victoria Cross recipient, we will pay the basic daily care fee up to 63 days.

We do not cover the cost of extra service fees or refundable booking fees.

Some Australian Government-funded aged care facilities may request a booking fee to secure a period of respite care. It will not be more than the cost of one week's respite care, or 25 per cent of the fee for the proposed period of respite care, whichever is less. The Australian Government-funded aged care facility is responsible for refunding this booking fee to you after your respite stay.

Back to top

What to tell us

If you receive a Service Pension or Age Pension from us you need to tell us within 14 days if any changes occur that may affect your pension.

This includes if you or your partner enters residential respite for 14 days or longer.

If you get a Service Pension or an Age Pension from us as a member of a couple, and you enter residential respite for at least 14 days in a row, you and your partner may be entitled to the higher single rate of pension as an illness separated couple. Contact us and let us know within 3 months of entering respite so we can adjust your pension rate.

Back to top

Support from other agencies

In addition to the respite care we provide, you may be able to access a range of carer support from other agencies.

My Aged Care

My Aged Care offers a range of help at home that may not be available through Veterans' Home Care. If you need a break from your caring duties they can help you access both:

My Aged Care also offer Home Care Packages.

You can find more details on the My Aged Care website or by calling them on 1800 200 422.

Carer Gateway

Carer Gateway is a website that provides support and helps carers connect with services, including access to respite care.

You can contact the Carer Gateway on 1800 422 737 or visit the Carer Gateway website.

Carers Australia

Carers Australia represents carers and can provide you with:

  • information
  • support
  • education
  • training
  • counselling

You can visit the Carers Australia website or call them on 1800 242 636.


Centrelink offers financial support for carers through the:

You can find more information on the Services Australia website or by calling Centrelink on 132 717.

The Department of Social Services (DSS) and the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)

The Department of Social Services (DSS) offers support for carers through a range of programs and services. A detailed list can be found on their website.

The NDIA is responsible for rolling out the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

DSS is transitioning some of their carer support programs and services to the NDIS. More information about the transition to the NDIS can be found on the DSS website.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?