Concessions in Western Australia

Last updated:

This page is about concessions available to our clients in Western Australia (WA).

Back to top

Who is eligible for a concession?

The organisation that offers the product or service, e.g. your local council, decides what sort of concession is offered and to whom it is offered. Our Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) and Veteran Gold Card holders are usually eligible for concessions, but it is important to contact the organisation offering the concession to confirm your eligibility.

Back to top

Health concessions

Treatment Cards

If you have a DVA treatment card (Gold or Veteran White Card) you should always use this card for medical, hospital, pharmaceutical and allied health services.

Pharmaceutical benefits

The rates quoted are current from 20 March 2024.

PCC holders are eligible for medication under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) at $7.70 per prescription. Your pharmacist can tell you which medicines are listed under the scheme. Premiums charged by manufacturers may apply to some alternative brands/medicines. Once you have spent the PBS Safety Net threshold amount on PBS medicines, you will receive free PBS medicines for the rest of the year. For more information, please visit the Australian Government's Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme webpage.

National Diabetes Services Scheme

You can receive a range of Australian Government approved products at a reduced price. For more information contact the scheme on 1300 136 588 or visit the National Diabetes Services Scheme website

Hearing services

The Office of Hearing Services provides vouchers which enable you to get hearing assessments and devices from hearing service providers of your choice. This includes the cost of fitting the device. For more information contact the Office of Hearing Services on 1800 500 726, email hearing [at] or visit the Australian Government's Office of Hearing Services website.

Dental Services

The Government Subsidised Oral Health Care Scheme provides PCC holders with subsidised dental treatment. This treatment can be received at a Public Dental Clinic or at participating Private Dental Clinics. Gold Card holders may be eligible for care at public dental clinics only in certain remote locations. For more information contact the Dental Health Services Administration on (08) 9313 0555 or visit the Western Australian Dental Health Services website.

WA Spectacle Subsidy Scheme

PCC holders who do not hold either a Gold Card or a Veteran White Card which entitles them to receive treatment at DVA expense for eye disabilities can receive a subsidy of up to $54.34 (as at 1 July 2019) for spectacles once every two years. For more information contact the Department of Health on 13 44 77 (option 3, then option 4) or visit the WA Department of Health's Spectacle Subsidy Scheme.

St John Ambulance Services

WA PCC holders and senior citizens aged 65 years and over may receive either a 50% discount or free emergency/medically necessary Ambulance transport, if they meet the relevant eligibility criteria.

For more information, contact St John Ambulance Service on (08) 9334 1222 or visit St John Ambulance's Pensioner Ambulance Service webpage.

Back to top

Transport Concessions

Public transport — Transperth

PCC holders and holders of a WA Seniors card are entitled to free or concession public transport on Transperth services between certain times.

People with a vision impairment can access free travel at all times if they possess a Western Australian Vision Impairment Travel Pass. Holders of a Health Care Card only are able to access concession rates.

For more information contact Transperth on 13 62 13 or visit Transperth's Pensioner SmartRider webpage.

Concession — Veterans SmartRider holders

Veterans (including wholly dependent partners and war widow/ers) receiving a pension may be entitled to free or concession travel on Transperth services.

You must apply for a Veterans SmartRider to access this concession.

For more information, contact Transperth on 13 62 13 or visit Transperth's Veterans SmartRider webpage.

Public Transport — Transwa

Transwa maintains digital Pensioner Free Travel Entitlements for registered WA concession cardholders. Veteran SmartRider holders, pension card holders and Gold Card holders may be entitled to up to two free return journeys or four single journeys per calendar year and receive 50% off a standard ticket price.

Eligible WA pensioner concession cardholders can complete a registration form online by visiting Transwa's Pensioner Free Travel webpage. WA residents living above the 26th parallel should contact the Department of Transport for details regarding their travel entitlement. Visit the Western Australian Department of Transport's Pensioner annual free trip scheme web page.

For more information, contact Transwa on 1300 662 205, visit the Transwa website or email: concessions [at] Alternatively, contact the Western Australian Department of Transport on 1300 660 147 or email: travelsubsidies [at]

Country Age Pension Fuel Card

The Country Age Pension Fuel Card provides eligible pensioners with up to $575 a year towards the cost of fuel and/or taxi travel from participating providers to offer more support for the transport needs of eligible pensioners living in country areas. Applicants must be receiving a Department of Veterans' Affairs Service Pension and living in an eligible regional location.

For more information, please phone the Country Age Pension Fuel Card information line on 1300 666 609 or visit the Western Australian Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development's Country Age Pension Fuel Card webpage.

Back to top

Household Concessions

Australia Post

Australia Post offers a 40% discount on postage stamps, discounts on re-directing mail and deliver some items that aid the sight of people with a vision impairment free of charge, or at a discounted rate, for Gold, White and Orange card holders.

For more information contact Australia Post on 13 76 78 or visit the Australia Post website.


Telstra offer a number of concessions to PCC holders, including a discount on new telephone service connection fee and a reduction in your home line plan costs.

For more information contact Telstra on 1800 676 442 or visit the Telstra Home Phone webpage.

Electricity: Synergy and Horizon Power – Residential customers

PCC and Gold Card holders are eligible for a electricity concessions such as account establishment fee rebates, dependant child rebate, and the Energy Assistance Payment outlined below.

For more information, contact Synergy on 13 13 53 (TTY 13 36 77) or visit the Synergy website, or Horizon Power on 1800 267 926 (TTY 1800 461 499) or visit the Horizon Power website.

Energy Assistance Payment (formerly Cost of Living Assistance CoLA) - $305

The Energy Assistance payment of $305 inclusive of GST is divided into daily amounts and credited to Synergy or Horizon Power customers’ electricity bills. If you are not a direct customer of these energy suppliers check your eligibility for the Energy Concession Extension Scheme. Applicants must hold a Veterans Affairs Gold Card or Pension Card.

Pensioners and Seniors Rebate Scheme

The Pensioners and Seniors Rebate Scheme provides concessions to eligible pensioners and seniors on their local government rates charges, the emergency services levy, underground electricity charges (if applicable) and water service charges. The concessions available are either a rebate on, or the deferment, of these charges.

As from the commencement of the 2016-17 rating year (1 July 2016), if you claim a concession using a Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, or WA Seniors Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, the rebate will be limited to a maximum (capped) amount which is reviewed annually.

For more information, please phone the Office of State Revenue on 08 9262 1373 (1300 368 364 for country callers) or visit the Western Australian Government's Apply for a pensioners or seniors rebate webpage.

Air Conditioning Rebate

This rebate subsidises the cost of operating an Air Conditioner for eligible households in areas of high heat discomfort. The amount of the subsidy varies depending on where you live. Permanent residents of caravan parks can also apply for this rebate.​

For more information, please visit ConcessionsWA's Air-conditioning electricity rebate web page.


PCC holders are eligible for a range of programs for low and middle income earners who are seeking rental accommodation or home finance. These include rental assistance, bond assistance, mortgage support and home purchase assistance programs. For more information contact the Department of Communities, Housing Division, on (08) 9476 2444.

Back to top

Vehicle Concessions

Drivers’ Licences and Social Vehicle Licences

A concession or exemption on driver’s licence and social vehicle licence fees may be available to eligible veterans and PCC holders.

For more information contact the Department of Transport on 131 156 or visit the Western Australian Department of Transport's Licensing webpage.

Motor Vehicle GST exemption

Once every 2 years or 40,000 km, eligible veterans are entitled to GST exemption on the purchase of a new car. GST exemption is also available on spare parts necessary for the running of a motor car.

For more information visit the Australian Taxation Office's Eligibility for tax concessions on cars for people with a disability webpage or refer to DVA's Supply of cars or car parts GST-free.

Back to top

Other Concessions

TAFEWA or Registered Training Organisation Fees and Charges

PCC holders are entitled to a discounted rate training fees. The course must be provided by TAFEWA or a registered training organisation that is funded by the Western Australian Department of Education.

For more information contact the Western Australian Department of Education on (08) 9264 4111 or visit the Western Australian Department of Education website.

Public Trustee Will Drafting Service

The WA Public Trustee provides Will drafting, trustee and asset management services to all Western Australians. A discounted Will service fee is available for concession card holders applying to one Will per 12 month period for some concession card holders.

For more information contact the Public Trustee on 1300 746 116 or visit the Western Australian Public Trustee webpage.

State Concession Card

The State Concession Card (SCC) is provided to specific DVA pensioners who are not eligible for the PCC. This card allows you to receive a rebate up to 50%, or deferment of payment, on Local Government Rates and Water Authority of WA water, sewerage and drainage rates. A means test may apply.

For more information on the SCC contact the Department of Communities, Child Protection and Family Support, on: 1800 622 258 (Country free call) or visit the Western Australian State Concession Card website.

WA Seniors Card

The WA Seniors Card is issued free and provides access to savings on a range of goods and services provided by participating businesses. For more information contact WA Seniors Card on 1800 176 888, or visit the Western Australian Seniors Card website.

Back to top

Moving Interstate

If you have recently moved interstate, and not received a new concession or treatment card reflecting your state of residence, please contact us.  Some state government concessions require your card to match your state of residence.

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?