Help with the cost of child care
We may be able to help eligible veterans and widowed partners pay the costs of child care.
Short-term child care to help you or your family while you are taking part in a DVA Rehabilitation Program in times when child care is identified as being needed.
You may be approved for support if you:
- have undertaken warlike service on or after July 2004
- are engaged in a DVA Rehabilitation Program
- are eligible for, or getting Incapacity Payments; and
- have an identified need for child care, as lack of child care is a barrier to you achieving your goals in your DVA Rehabilitation Plan
Your child will also need to:
Support is also available to widowed partners under this package.
Talk with your rehabilitation provider to arrange an assessment of your needs.
DVA will make payments directly to your child care provider. How much support you receive will be linked to your needs to achieve your rehabilitation goal/s.
The maximum amount that we can pay is based on your child's age:
- $10,000 for each child under school age
- $5,000 for each child that is primary school age
- if you become unwell and cannot participate in your rehabilitation
- if your circumstances change and you can now meet your child care needs without additional support
- when you have ceased or closed your rehabilitation plan
- if you plan to move overseas
- Child care provided through informal arrangements such as care provided by relatives, friends, or neighbours cannot be funded through the Family Support Package.
- Family Support Package Child care is not available to you if you live overseas.