Homelessness — DVA and Ex-Service Organisation support

Last updated: 
10 January 2020

A number of organisations provide homelessness services specifically for veterans and their families. You can find out more at Homelessness Support Services.

Support if you are at risk of, or experiencing, homelessness

DVA does not provide housing or accommodation services, apart from residential care. However, if you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, with your permission DVA can:

  • refer you to a homelessness agency in your local area to help you find accommodation
  • ensure that you are receiving all benefits and entitlements from DVA that you are entitled to
  • refer you to Centrelink who will check your eligibility for benefits such as Newstart Allowance or Disability Support Pension. Centrelink also has Social Workers and Financial Planning Counsellors available to provide support
  • refer you to Open Arms - Veterans & Families Counselling and/or to local Ex-Service Organisations (ESOs) who might be able to help you.

DVA homelessness contacts

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, you can phone DVA on 1800 555 254 or visit a Veterans' Access Network (VAN) office for assistance. Addresses of VAN offices are detailed at DVA office and client service locations.

DVA can link you to organisations who can help you. Some of these are listed below under Community homelessness support services.

If you are an ESO or Community organisation that supports ex-ADF members who are homeless, or at risk of homelessness, and would like your details included in this resource please e-mail Community.Services.Policy [at] dva.gov.au.

Special payments when at risk of homelessness

If you have had to leave your home because of extreme circumstances, domestic or family violence or you have been released from custody, you may be eligible for a DVA crisis payment. You need to be eligible for service pension or income support supplement and meet other criteria to receive this payment.

Information on a DVA Crisis Payment is available via the following:

Community homelessness support services

DVA does not provide homelessness services for veterans or their families. However, with your permission we can refer you to a homelessness agency in your local area. Some of the various community based and government services available for people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness in Australia are listed below. State, Territory and local Governments, as well as many community sector organisations, operate telephone services or directories which can provide a useful first step in finding support. A list of contact telephone numbers and links to websites for further information follows.


OneLink on 1800 176 468 (Mon to Fri, 8am to 6pm) is the central intake service for homelessness in the ACT. OneLink also offer outreach services with intake officers at various locations around Canberra and a drop in centre at Housing Access Point ACT in Belconnen.


Link2Home on 1800 152 152 (24 hours, 7 days) provides information, conducts assessments, as well as makes referrals to homelessness services across NSW. The service is for people who are homeless or who are worried they will become homeless, as well as for advocates acting on a person's behalf.


Opening Doors on 1800 825 955 (24 hours, 7 days) will direct your call to a service closest to you, if you call from a land line. If you call from a mobile number they will provide you with the most appropriate number to call.


Homeless Hotline on 1800 47 47 53 (24 hours, 7 days) is a phone information and referral service for people who are experiencing homelessness.


Entrypoint Perth on (08) 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684 is an assessment and referral service assisting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in Western Australia to access accommodation and support options.



Shelter Me provides a web-based directory of homeless services and contains a comprehensive guide to services in all areas of the NT


Housing Connect on 1800 800 588 (24 hours, 7 days) — provides immediate support, information on your options and can arrange immediate emergency accommodation.

Ex-Service Organisation support

Ex-service organisations (ESOs) provide assistance to current and former ADF members. Services can include but are not necessarily limited to: welfare support, assistance with DVA claims, employment programs and social support.

A number of ESOs have provided advice on specific support to ex-ADF members and, in some cases, their families, when they are at risk of homelessness or are homeless. The following provides links to state ESOs, details about the services that they provide and contact information:

For other ESOs in your area visit ESO which includes a list of major ESOs.