Concessions in New South Wales

Last updated:

This page is about what concessions may be available to DVA clients in New South Wales (NSW).

Back to top

Who is eligible for a concession?

The organisation that offers the product or service, for example, your local council decides what sort of concession is offered and to whom it is offered (that is, eligibility). DVA Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) and Veteran Gold Card holders are usually eligible for concessions, but it is important to contact the organisation offering the concession to confirm your eligibility.

Back to top

Health concessions

Treatment cards

If you have a DVA treatment card (Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card) you should always use this card for medical, hospital, pharmaceutical and allied health services.

Pharmaceutical benefits

PCC holders are eligible for medication under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) at $7.30 per prescription. Your pharmacist can tell you which medicines are listed under the scheme. Premiums charged by manufacturers may apply to some alternative brands/medicines. Once you have spent the PBS Safety Net threshold amount on PBS medicines, you will receive free PBS medicines for the rest of the year. For more information, please visit the Department of Human Services information on the PBS.

National Diabetes Services Scheme

You can receive a range of Australian Government approved products at a reduced price. For more information, contact the scheme on 1800 637 700 or visit National Diabetes Services Scheme

Hearing services

The Office of Hearing Services provides vouchers which enable you to get hearing assessments and devices from hearing service providers of your choice. This includes the cost of fitting the device. For more information contact the Office of Hearing Services on 1800 500 726, email hearing [at] or visit Hearing Services Program


All PCC, Veteran Gold Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) holders receive free ambulance transport in an emergency.

For more information, visit NSW Ambulance


The NSW Spectacles Program funds free glasses and optical aids to financially disadvantaged residents of NSW. The program is available to people who meet the eligibility criteria and receive a full income support payment.

For more information, please contact Vision Australia on 1300 847 466 or visit NSW Spectacles Program


Sydney Dental Hospital (SDH) and Oral Health Services (OHS) provide public and oral health services to eligible PCC and CSHC holders. For more information, please contact the Central Oral Health Intake and Information Service (COHIIS) on (02) 9293 3333 or visit Oral Health.

Back to top

Transport concessions

The NSW Government provides subsidised or concession travel to a wide range of people, including veterans and war widow/ers.

For more information about any of the following public transport concessions, please contact Transport for NSW on 131 500 or visit Ticket eligibility and concessions

Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal Card

NSW PCC holders, TPI/EDA and war widow/er pensioners are eligible for the Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal Card. This card entitles the holder to use public transport services across Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands at a capped price.

NSW war widow/ers no longer receive a NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card. NSW war widow/ers use their Veteran Gold Card when applying for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal Card.

Interstate seniors can apply for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card on the Opal website or by completing the Application for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card for Interstate Seniors. Interstate seniors will need to apply 2–3 weeks before travelling to NSW.

For more information, contact Opal Customer Care on 131 500 or visit the Opal website

Ex-members of the Defence Force Pass

Veterans who receive a Disability Compensation Payment (DCP) under the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) and live permanently in NSW may be eligible for an Ex-members of the Defence Force pass. Veterans who have been assessed at 10 impairment points or more under the Military, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) may also be eligible. This pass is also available to certain Commonwealth and allied Second World War veterans who live permanently in NSW. The pass entitles the holder to free travel on public transport in NSW.

For more information, please contact Transport for NSW on 131 500 or visit Ex-members of Defence Force with a disability

Blinded Soldiers Gold Pass

The Blinded Soldiers Gold Pass entitles the holder to free travel on public transport in NSW.

For more information, please contact Transport for NSW on 131 500 or visit NSW Blinded Soldier Pass

Regional Seniors Travel Card

The regional seniors travel card program is available for a 4-year trial period, from 2020–2023.

The card provides eligible seniors living in regional, rural and remote areas with a capped pre-paid travel card. It can be used to pay for pre-booked NSW TrainLink Regional trains, coaches, fuel and taxi trips.

To be eligible, Department of Veterans’ Affairs payment recipients must have reached the Age Pension age and be receiving one of the following:

  • Social Security Age Pension
  • Service Pension
  • Disability Compensation Payment
  • War Widow/ers Pension.

Or hold a:

  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

To get the regional seniors travel card, all applicants must:

  • have received one of the above pensions or held a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card for at least one month
  • live in regional NSW outside Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong

Seniors have until 30 November 2022 to apply via Service NSW, by calling 13 77 88 or visiting a Service NSW Service Centre

Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme

The Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme (TTSS) provides subsidised taxi transport to residents of NSW who are unable to use public transport because of a severe and permanent disability. Strict eligibility criteria must be met.

For more information, contact Transport for NSW on 131 500 or visit Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme

Note: For taxi travel relating to the treatment of accepted disabilities, you should use your DVA treatment card (Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card).

For more information, refer to Reimbursing travel expenses under VEA

Free Travel for Companions

The NSW Companion card is valid on most public transport in NSW and provides free travel for an attendant when accompanying the Companion Card holder. The Companion Card holder will pay their normal fare, which will depend on their concession status.

For more information, visit Free travel for companions

Back to top

Household concessions

Australia Post

Australia Post offers discounted postage stamps, discounts on re-directing mail and deliver some items free of charge to people with a vision impairment, or at a discounted rate for Veteran Gold Card, Veteran White Card and Veteran Orange Card holders.

For more information, contact Australia Post on 13 76 78 or visit Australia Post


Telstra offer a number of concessions to PCC holders, including a discount on new telephone service connection fees and a reduction in your home line plan costs. For more information, contact Telstra on 1800 676 442 or visit Telstra’s Concession offers

Water, sewerage and storm water rebates

The Sydney Water Corporation and the Hunter Water Corporation offer concessions to eligible pensioners. These concessions are offered to:

  • PCC holders
  • holders of a Veteran Gold Card embossed with 'war widow', 'TPI' or 'EDA'
  • veterans receiving a Disability Compensation Payment at the Temporarily Totally Incapacitated (TTI) rate or the Intermediate rate.

Wholly Dependent Partners are required to contact Sydney Water on the telephone number below to receive the concessions. If you are eligible under the MRCA and have received a letter stating otherwise, please contact Sydney Water

For more information, contact:


Local councils provide rebates on rates to eligible pensioners.

For more information, contact your local council.

Low Income (Energy) Rebate

The NSW Government provides an energy rebate for people on low incomes. This rebate is paid by the electricity supplier and will be shown on your bill.

For more information, contact your electricity supplier.

Life Support Electricity Rebate

If you need life supporting medical equipment, you may be eligible for a rebate from your electricity supplier. The amount of the rebate depends upon the type of machine you require. The rebate is a flat rate for each type of machine.

For more information, contact your electricity supplier.

Back to top

Vehicle Concessions

Transport for NSW concessions

Eligible pensioners may be eligible for fee exemptions or concessions on a wide range of products and services from Transport for NSW, such as NSW Driver Licences, driving tests, registration, motor vehicle tax, transfer fees and stamp duty on motor vehicles and Mobility Parking Scheme (MPS) permits.

For further details of exemptions and concessions, and the relevant eligibility criteria, contact Transport for NSW on 13 22 13 or visit Transport for NSW

Motor Vehicle GST exemption

Once every 2 years or 40,000 km, eligible veterans are entitled to GST exemption on the purchase of a new car. GST exemption is also available on spare parts necessary for the running of a motor car.

For more information, refer to Supply of Cars and Car Parts GST Free

Back to top

Other concessions

NSW Seniors Card

The NSW Seniors Card is issued free and provides access to savings on a range of goods and services provided by participating businesses.

For more information, please contact 13 77 88 or visit NSW Seniors Card

NSW Photo Card

The NSW Photo Card is a voluntary card for people who do not hold other forms of identification, such as a driver licence. The card can help you access services that require identification.

For more information, contact Transport for NSW on 13 22 13 or visit Driver and rider licences or NSW photo card

Recreational Fishing Licence

The NSW Government offer concessions on the Recreational Fishing Fee, to eligible pensioners. These concessions are offered to:

  • PCC holders
  • holders of a Veteran Gold Card embossed with 'TPI' or 'EDA' or
  • on providing a letter from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs stating that you receive a Disability Compensation Payment of 70% or higher, an intermediate pension or in receipt of or deemed eligible for the Special Rate Disability Pension (SRDP) under the MRCA

For more information, please contact 13 77 88 or apply for a recreational fishing licence

Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?