Get care while you wait on a claim

Last updated: 
9 September 2020

We may pay for you to have temporary access to health care while we are still assessing your claim for that condition.

This offer is a trial that we will run until 30 June 2021. We call it 'provisional access to medical treatment'.

When you can get health care

We may pay for a health care provider to treat you, even if you are waiting on the results of your claim under the:

  • Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA)
  • Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA)

Who can get it

You can get provisional access to medical treatment if you are a former:

  • Australian Defence Force member
  • part-time reservist
  • cadet
  • declared member

Who cannot get it

If you are a current serving member, Defence are responsible for your health care needs. Contact your medical officer on base.

Health conditions you can get care for

We cover all mental health conditions for anyone who has served 1 full day of service.

We will only cover your temporary access to care for 1 or more of the following:

  • achilles tendinopathy and bursitis
  • chondromalacia patella
  • cut, stab, abrasion and laceration
  • dislocation
  • fracture
  • internal derangement of the knee
  • intervertebral disc prolapse
  • joint instability
  • labral tear
  • lumbar spondylosis
  • non-melanotic malignant neoplasm of the skin
  • osteoarthritis
  • plantar fasciitis
  • rotator cuff syndrome
  • sensorineural hearing loss
  • shin splints
  • solar keratosis
  • sprain and strain
  • thoracic spondylosis
  • tinnitus

How you access it

After you have lodged a claim for liability we will assess your situation and tell you if you can access temporary health care.

Next steps

If we accept your claim

If we accept your claim, we will send you a letter with the support, services, and compensation that may be available to you. We will issue you with a Veteran White Card if you do not have one already. This will cover the cost of your care.

You can then ask a health care provider to treat your injury or illness. Check that a provider accepts the Veteran White Card before they treat you.

If we do not accept your claim

We may cancel your access to health care if we do not accept your claim.

We can restore your access to care if you make an appeal for a claim we have rejected. We will not ask you to pay back the costs of care paid for while we were assessing your claim.