How to make a claim under the DRCA

Last updated:

This page briefly explains how to submit a claim and the benefits available under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) and the Defence Act 1903.

Back to top

What is the DRCA?

The DRCA is the compensation legislation that applies to members and former members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) with service prior to 1 July 2004, and replaces the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 (SRCA) for ADF service.

Compensation coverage under the DRCA can be provided for injuries, diseases or deaths that are linked to hazardous and peacekeeping service before 1 July 2004, most peacetime ADF service between 3 January 1949 and 30 June 2004 (which includes British Nuclear Test defence service), and for certain periods of operational service between 7 April 1994 and 30 June 2004, including warlike and non-warlike service.

Your entitlement to benefits under the DRCA is exactly the same as those that were available under the SRCA. The DRCA replicates the SRCA and retains the provisions that applied to veterans, serving and former ADF members.

From 12 October 2017, all claims that would previously have been considered under the provisions of the SRCA (for conditions attributable to pre 1 July 2004 service) have been considered under the DRCA. All pre-existing claims under the SRCA are now treated as claims under the DRCA. There is no change to existing entitlements or the manner in which claims under the DRCA interact with claims under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) and/or the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA).

The Defence Act 1903 provides additional benefits in DRCA cases involving severe injury or death due to service between 10 June 1997 and 30 June 2004.

All ADF service from 1 July 2004 onwards is covered under the MRCA

Back to top

Who are ADF ‘members’?

The benefits available under the DRCA apply to the following ADF ‘members’ with service prior to 1 July 2004:

  • all members of the permanent ADF;
  • all members of the Reserve force;
  • all Cadets and Officers and Instructors of Cadets; and
  • people declared in writing by the Minister for Employment who:
    • hold an honorary rank in the ADF,
    • are members of philanthropic organisations that provide services to the ADF, or
    • are undertaking Career Transition Training under an arrangement made by the ADF.
Back to top

How do I make a claim?

To lodge a claim, please fill out DVA Form D2020. The claim form can be obtained from the your nearest DVA office. It is also possible to claim online via DVA's MyService application at

When you have completed the claim form, you should send it and all requested documentation to your nearest DVA office. You should retain a copy of the claim form (and any documents you provided with it) for your personal records.

If you are not able to obtain all the information or documents required, you should contact staff at your local DVA office. They may be able to help you obtain the necessary information.

Back to top

Am I eligible for Veteran Payment?

If you are making a claim for a mental health condition under the DRCA (or the MRCA) are under age pension age and are incapable of working more than eight hours per week, you may be eligible for veteran payment.

Veteran payment provides interim financial support to veterans whilst they await the determination of their claim for a mental health condition. It is also available to partners. Veteran Payment is subject to an income and asset test.

Back to top

What benefits are available?

Medical and other treatment expenses

The cost of treatment for your accepted conditions will generally be met through a Veteran White Card. The Australian Government will pay all reasonable medical, hospital, pharmaceutical and other treatment costs related to your compensable injury or disease.

Incapacity payments

If your claim for compensation is accepted and you are unable to work due to your injury or disease, you may be entitled to weekly compensation benefits based on your Normal Weekly Earnings (NWE). For serving members, this is the higher of your salary at the time of injury or at the onset of your incapacity for service. For ex-members, NWE is the higher of your salary at date of injury or what you were receiving at the time of discharge from the ADF. For further information, please see How we calculate incapacity payments

Permanent impairment lump sum

Permanent impairment is the measurable effect of an injury or disease on a part of the body or on a bodily system. If you suffer a permanent impairment from a condition linked to your service under the DRCA, you may be entitled to a lump sum payment of compensation. For further information, please see Permanent Impairment.

Rehabilitation and help to return to work

An assessment of your rehabilitation requirements, including your medical management, psychosocial and vocational rehabilitation needs, may be made after your claim has been accepted.

If your rehabilitation assessment indicates that you would benefit from rehabilitation, the assistance available to you may include:

  • the development of an individually tailored program to assist you to reach your rehabilitation goals;
  • the provision of aids, appliances and/or home, vehicle and workplace modifications to assist you to be as independent as possible;
  • help to establish a meaningful and fulfilling career outside the ADF; and
  • involvement in programs to help you adjust to your new circumstances, focus on recovery and to build a fulfilling life after your service related injury or disease.

For further information, please see Rehabilitation.

Household and attendant care services

You may be reimbursed for costs incurred if, as a result of compensable injury or disease, you require assistance with cooking, house cleaning, gardening, laundry or attendant care services, such as bathing, dressing or feeding. This reimbursement is subject to a maximum weekly amount. For further information, please see Attendant Care and Household Services.

Back to top

What financial help will my family receive if I die as a result of my service prior to 1 July 2004?

Financial help is available to your family if your death is a result of ADF service. Your dependants may be entitled to:

  • a lump sum compensation payment for death;
  • an additional death benefit (payable under the Defence Act 1903);
  • a further lump sum for each dependent child (payable under the Defence Act 1903);
  • a weekly payment for those children who were dependent upon you at the date of death, and who are either under 16 years old, or are full-time students between 16 and 25 years of age who are not ordinarily engaged in employment on their own account;
  • funeral expenses; and
  • reimbursement for the cost of obtaining financial advice when an additional death benefit has been paid under the Defence Act 1903.
Back to top

What happens if my service is on or after 1 July 2004?

As previously mentioned, the information contained in this page is relevant only for service prior to 1 July 2004. Injuries, diseases and deaths that are related to service on or after 1 July 2004 are covered by the MRCA and claims may be lodged under that legislation. For further information, please see Overview of the MRCA.

Back to top

Proof of identity

Proof of your identity must be obtained before any claim can be determined and any benefits or compensation can be paid to you under DRCA. For further information please see Proof of Identity.

Back to top Back to top
Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?