Skip to Content

Factsheet HSV30 - Exercise Physiology Services


This Factsheet provides information on the eligibility requirements for exercise physiology services. It also provides information on how to access these services.

What is exercise physiology?

Exercise physiology services include the delivery of clinical exercise interventions to manage chronic disease and the provision of post-acute exercise rehabilitation for people recovering from major injury or illness. Exercise physiology contributes to the management of:

  • diabetes
  • cardiovascular disease
  • osteoporosis
  • arthritis
  • cancer, and
  • muscular conditions of a chronic nature.

Who is eligible?

If you have a Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) Health Card – All Conditions (Gold) or Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (Gold), DVA will pay for exercise physiology services available through DVA arrangements to meet your clinical needs. For information about the Gold Card, please see Factsheets HSV59 - Eligibility for the DVA Health Card - All Conditions (Gold) or Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (Gold) and HSV60 - Using the DVA Health Card – All Conditions (Gold) or Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (Gold).

If you have a DVA Health Card – Specific Conditions (White), DVA will pay for exercise physiology services provided under DVA arrangements, if they are required because of an accepted war or service caused injury or disease. For more information about the White Card, please see Factsheet HSV61 - DVA Health Card – Specific Conditions (White).

If you are an allied veteran, you are eligible for treatment of war caused disabilities accepted by your country of enlistment. Please refer to Factsheet HSV62 - Commonwealth and Other Allied Veterans Living in Australia for information on the services available.

How do I get access to this service?

You must be referred to an exercise physiologist who is able to provide services under the Medicare Benefits Scheme (MBS). A referral can be issued by a:

  • Local Medical Officer (LMO)
  • General Practitioner (GP)
  • medical specialist
  • treating doctor in hospital
  • hospital discharge planner, or
  • exercise physiologist with a current referral.

Referrals remain active for 12 months and cannot overlap from one 12 month period to the next.

What happens when I visit the exercise physiologist?

Please present your DVA Gold or White Health Card at the beginning of a consultation or before you receive treatment. The exercise physiologist will assess your clinical need for exercise physiology and will take into consideration any other related treatments you are receiving. They will prepare a written care plan for the period of care required and will discuss this with you. The exercise physiologist will provide you with a copy of the treatment record for your reference.

Do I need to sign a treatment record?

Service providers can submit treatment records electronically. If this is not the case, you may be required to sign a record of treatment at the completion of each visit to ensure your treatment is covered by DVA. Before you sign, please check that the treatment record shows:

  • your name
  • your DVA file number
  • the date of treatment
  • the item number for the service provided, and
  • your accepted disability or condition for which you required exercise physiology services and/or supplies (if you are a White Card holder).

If you are unable to sign, a member of your family, or someone else who attends the appointment with you, may sign on your behalf. Otherwise the exercise physiologist must note that you are unable to sign.

Are there limits to the number of services I can receive?

Yes, your exercise physiologist will determine the type, number and frequency of services you require according to your assessed clinical need. Exercise physiology is designed to give you the skills to independently manage your health condition through an appropriate exercise regime; it is not intended to be an ongoing form of treatment.

There are limits to services that can be provided to entitled persons who are classified as requiring a greater level of care in an Australian Government funded residential aged care facility (RACF).

Services for entitled persons classified as requiring a greater level of care should be provided by the RACF, except in exceptional circumstances which require prior approval from DVA. It is the exercise physiologist’s responsibility to determine the care level of an entitled person in a residential aged care facility before they provide treatment.

You should advise your treating exercise physiologist if another exercise physiologist has provided you with treatment during the previous 12 months. This will prevent your current provider from experiencing difficulties in claiming payment for services provided to you.

Do I need to pay for treatment?

No, your exercise physiologist will bill DVA directly for any care provided to you if the service is provided under DVA arrangements. This represents the full fee for the service provided. If you are billed by the exercise physiologist, do not pay the account and advise DVA immediately.

If a gym/pool access fee is required to access an exercise physiologist, this fee is already included in the fee paid by DVA. You are not required to pay for gym/pool entry to attend your exercise physiology session.

Does DVA pay for gym programs, general exercise programs or gym memberships?

No, DVA does not pay for gym programs, general exercise programs or gym memberships under Gold or White Card arrangements.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Forms


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA.

Average: 3.4 (7 votes)
4 June 2018