Skip to Content

Factsheet HSV03 - DVA Arranged Transport under the Repatriation Transport Scheme


This Factsheet briefly describes how eligible veterans and war widows/widowers (entitled persons) can receive arranged transport under the Repatriation Transport Scheme (RTS) when attending a health provider for approved medical treatment.

What is DVA arranged transport under the Repatriation Transport Scheme?

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) provides a pre-booked taxi or hire car service under the Booked Car with Driver (BCWD) Scheme, to transport you to and from your home to approved treatment locations. If you are travelling away from home and require medical treatment, DVA can also provide this service to and from your temporary residence to the closest practical provider.

To be eligible for any assistance under the RTS you must hold a:

  • DVA Health Card - For All Conditions (Gold) under the Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) or Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (Gold); or
  • DVA Health Card - For Specific Conditions (White). You are entitled to receive assistance with your travelling expenses when travelling for the treatment of your DVA accepted condition/s.

Note: If your treatment relates to conditions accepted under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA), the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) or Australian Participants in British Nuclear Tests (Treatment) Act 2006, your travel entitlements may vary from those outlined in this Factsheet. Please contact DVA general enquiries using the details listed under ‘More Information’ at the end of this Factsheet.

Am I eligible for a DVA arranged taxi or hire car under the Booked Car with Driver Scheme?

You are entitled to receive BCWD services to attend all approved treatment locations if you are a Gold card holder who is:

  • aged 80 years of age or over; or
  • legally blind (regardless of your age); or
  • suffering from dementia (regardless of your age)

You are entitled to receive BCWD services to attend treatment locations for your accepted service related condition/s if you are a White card holder who is:

  • aged 80 years of age or over; or
  • legally blind (regardless of your age); or
  • suffering from dementia (regardless of your age)

If you are a Gold card holder or White card holder aged 79 years or younger, you can declare your eligibility for BCWD services if you have one or more of the medical conditions listed below:

  • psychosis
  • hemiplegia
  • ataxia
  • respiratory insufficiency severely limiting independent activity
  • cardiac failure severely limiting independence
  • recent coronary occlusion severely limiting independence
  • peripheral vascular disease severely limiting independence
  • amputation severely limiting independence
  • arthritis severely limiting independence
  • recent surgery severely affecting your capacity to use public transport
  • conditions that would cause you to be gravely embarrassed or that are unacceptable to other passengers on public transport e.g. incontinence of bladder or bowel, severe deformity or disfigurement;
  • significant trauma; or
  • frailty that severely limits your independence.

If you are aged 79 years or younger and meet any of the above medical criteria, you are entitled to BCWD services to travel (in accordance with your DVA Health Card) to any of the following approved treatment locations:

  • former Repatriation General Hospitals;
  • public and private hospitals, including outpatient services;
  • providers of prosthetics, surgical footwear and orthotics;
  • Office of Hearing Services accredited providers;
  • medical specialist rooms; and
  • radiology, imaging and pathology services.

Are there travel limitations?

DVA arranged transport is to your Closest Practical Provider (CPP). The CPP is the health provider who is closest to your residence, who is able to health provide the appropriate treatment, and who is recognised as an approved provider by DVA.

If your preference is to have treatment by a health provider who is not your CPP and who is more than 50 km (one way) from residence, you may need to arrange your own transport and seek reimbursement from DVA. The CPP will be considered when assessing the reimbursement for this travel. Please see Factsheet HSV02 Claiming Travelling Expenses under the Repatriation Transport Scheme for information about reimbursement of your privately incurred expenses.

Can my medically required attendant use the BCWD travel?

A medically required attendant can travel with you on a DVA arranged journey. Please advise us at the time of making the booking that you are travelling with an attendant. DVA can also arrange a wheelchair accessible vehicle if you notify us when you make the booking.

Does BCWD also include transport home?

Yes. Generally the transport provider that delivers you to your appointment will transport you home at the end of the appointment but not necessarily the same driver. You or your health provider can contact DVA to arrange your return travel. Contact numbers and other ways to contact the DVA to arrange transport are listed below. Calling DVA for your return journey may cause a slightly longer wait time for your vehicle.

Does the Repatriation Transport Scheme provide long distance transport?

DVA may arrange air or train transport in certain circumstances where this is considered clinically necessary and is the most suitable and economical means of transport. This will depend on your medical condition and the availability and cost of other transport. You or your health provider can contact the DVA to make arrangements, or to enquire about eligibility.

How do I book travel with DVA?

You, your health provider or your medically required attendant can request transport by contacting Veterans’ Transport Services. Please ensure you obtain a booking number at this time to assist with confirmation of this travel.

Please see Transport Bookings under ‘More Information’ at the end of this Factsheet for contact details.

You can also request a transport booking using DVA’s online portal, MyAccount. MyAccount enables you to request transport, update your details and claim reimbursement of travelling expenses online. Please note by using MyAccount there will be no waiting time to request your travel. If you would like to register for MyAccount, please call DVA general enquires contact details under ‘More Information’ at the end of this Factsheet.

More Information

DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

Transport Bookings

(during DVA business hours only)

Phone: 1800 550 455 *

* Calls from mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA relating to complex or important matters.

Average: 3.4 (9 votes)
20 October 2017