Skip to Content

Factsheet HAC01 - Defence Service Home Loans


This Factsheet is about the Defence Service Homes (DSH) Subsidised Home and Support Loans.

Defence Service Homes Subsidised Home Loan

The DSH subsidised home loan is a subsidised loan of up to $25,000.00 available to eligible veterans and their surviving partners and dependent parents.

You may qualify for a Defence Service Homes home loan if you:

  • first enlisted with the Australian Defence Force before 15 May 1985, or you were allotted for service in Namibia between 18 February 1989 and 10 April 1990, and completed a specified period of service;
  • were part of the British Commonwealth forces or, in certain circumstances, were part of the merchant marine or welfare organisations attached to Defence operations; or
  • are a surviving partner or dependent parent of a person qualified under the criteria above.

What can I do with the loan?

You can use your DSH home loan to:

  • buy or build a house or unit;
  • complete, enlarge, modify and/or repair your house or unit;
  • buy the right of entry into a retirement village;
  • re-finance an existing mortgage, charge or encumbrance on a house or unit owned by the eligible person;
  • build, complete, enlarge, modify or repair your retirement village accommodation in certain circumstances or discharge a debt in relation to it; or
  • obtain granny flat accommodation on another person’s property (in this situation, you must assign the loan to the owner of the accommodation so you also need to apply for a Certificate of Assignment).

The DSH home loan can usually be transferred from one home to another (not available for assigned loans).

How much can I borrow?

DSH offers loans of up to $25,000 but the maximum amount you can borrow depends on various factors; for example, the bank’s lending criteria and your ability to meet your instalments and other commitments.

DSH Home Support Loan

The DSH Home Support loan is an amount to assist with improvements and maintenance for a home owned and occupied by eligible persons.

What can I do with the Home Support Loan?

You can apply for a Home Support Loan (HSL) to:

  • Improve safety/security
  • Modify and/or repair; or
  • Undertake property – related maintenance.

The home must be in Australia and owned and occupied by you.

How much can I borrow?

The maximum HSL is $10,000 over a term of 25 years. The minimum amount you can borrow is $1,000. To take advantage of this you must not have a current entitlement to a DSH Loan. Please note that Home Support Loans are not portable to another property and must be repaid if you sell your home.

Interest Rates and Loan Provider

The interest rate is a variable rate set on the 5th of each month. It is set at 1.5% below the average standard variable home loan rate on the last working day of the previous month. It will not exceed 6.85% per annum.

Westpac Banking Corporation provides the DSH home loan, which generally must be secured by way of a first mortgage. Where the loan relates to a retirement village, security is at the discretion of Westpac. Not all retirement village (RV) forms of ownership are acceptable to Westpac. You should discuss your proposal with Westpac before you enter into any binding commitment.

If you are entitled to a loan you will be sent a Certificate of Entitlement. You then need to take your certificate to any Westpac branch to apply for the Defence Service Homes loan.

DSH also offers:

  • additional advances (if you have not borrowed the maximum loan of $25,000 on a Home Loan);
  • if you have a current DSH home loan, advances for essential repairs or instalment relief (in times of hardship); and
  • insurance (see Factsheet HAC02 Defence Service Homes Insurance Scheme).

Where do I obtain an application form?

You can obtain an application form:

Where can I lodge my application form?

You can lodge you application form:

  • by emailing DSH at;
  • by fax to (07) 3815 9430;
  • or by post to:
    Defence Service Homes
    GPO Box 9998
    Brisbane, QLD, 4001

Other subsidised loan schemes

If you have served in the Australian Defence Force within the last two years, you may be eligible for the Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme (DHOAS). For more information, please visit the DHOAS website at

If you served between 15 May 1985 and 30 June 2008, you may have been eligible for the Defence Home Owner Scheme (DHOS), which closed on 30 June 2010. In some very limited circumstances you may be able to access benefits under the DHOAS scheme. For more information phone DHOAS on 1300 434 627 or visit the DHOAS website at

More Information

DSH loan Enquiries

Phone: 1800 722 000



DVA General Enquiries

Phone: 1800 555 254 *


DVA Website:

Factsheet Website:

* Calls from some mobile phones and pay phones may incur additional charges.

Related Factsheets


The information contained in this Factsheet is general in nature and does not take into account individual circumstances. You should not make important decisions, such as those that affect your financial or lifestyle position on the basis of information contained in this Factsheet. Where you are required to lodge a written claim for a benefit, you must take full responsibility for your decisions prior to the written claim being determined. You should seek confirmation in writing of any oral advice you receive from DVA

Average: 2 (5 votes)
12 June 2019