A Veteran Support Officer is an adviser who can help you work out what benefits you can get. They are available to offer you support and guidance, and they can help you to submit a claim before you leave the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
National On-base Advisors (OBAS) are becoming Veteran Support Officers (VSOs).
We employ VSOs. They are not Defence employees.
VSOs are available to help all members of the ADF. This includes members who are not leaving the forces. They can provide support to you and your family.
They will deliver enhanced services, and will tailor the support you require based on your individual circumstances.
A VSO will:
- tell you about the support that we offer
- help you to apply for benefits and services
- offer advice to you and your family about moving into civilian life
- teach you to use MyService and other online services
They can also help you to submit a claim while you are still enlisted. This will make it easier for you to access services and support and when you have left the ADF.
You should reach out to an officer if you have:
- been medically downgraded
- been deployed
- come home from an exercise or deployment early
- any questions about the services and support we offer to serving members and their families
We also suggest that you contact a VSO if you have been injured or taken ill.
Veteran Support Officers are on more than 56 bases around Australia.
You can make an appointment to see one by calling us.
You can also ask for an appointment by sending an GeneralEnquiries [at] dva.gov.au (email) with:
- your name
- the name of your base
- the state or territory where you live
Some states have their own email addresses:
- New South Wales — email: VSO [at] dva.gov.au
- Victoria — email: obas.vic [at] dva.gov.au
- Tasmania — email: obas.vic [at] dva.gov.au
- North Queensland — email: OBAS.NthQld [at] dva.gov.au
- South Queensland — email: VSO [at] dva.gov.au
- Western Australia — email: wmboba [at] dva.gov.au
- South Australia — email: smboba [at] dva.gov.au
- Northern Territory — email darwinvan [at] dva.gov.au
- Australian Capital Territory — email: VSO [at] dva.gov.au
A VSO is usually located at either the Joint Health Command Facility or near the Transition Cell on your base.
To find out when a VSO is visiting your base, visit our location page.
Contact us if:
- there is no VSO at your base
- you are no longer at a base