Can I access information under DRCA or MRCA?

Last updated:

If you have a current compensation claim under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation (Defence-related Claims) Act 1988 (DRCA) or the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (MRCA) you can access the supporting documents that we hold that are relevant to your claim.

A current claim includes:

  • A claim that is yet to be determined;
  • A claim in which liability has been accepted but the extent of liability may need further determination; or
  • A determined claim to which review/appeal rights remain available.

To access your personal information under DRCA and MRCA claims, you can:

You can also find out more about what other information you can access here.

What information cannot be accessed under the DRCA or MRCA

Not all documents can be accessed through a DRCA or MRCA information request. This may include documents that:

  • Are not related to your claim;
  • Relate to non-personal information that is publicly available via other sources;
  • Attract legal professional privilege;
  • Contain information about departmental investigations which are deliberative in nature (e.g., opinions, advice and recommendations relating to our deliberative processes);
  • Information which, in the opinion of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission (MRCC), could cause harm to the claimant or another person if released.
  • If you do not have a current DRCA or MRCA claim you may wish to make an information request via the IAU [link to contact us IAU page]

To access information under a Veterans’ Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) claim you can make a request through the IAU.

Was this page useful?
Please tell us why you selected 'Yes'?
Please tell us why you selected 'No'?